First upgrading project on g4 tower & macbookpro. All advice welcome.

Reaction score
Hiya

So basically I have an old macbookpro that I am gradually upgrading and got an even older mac g4 tower for free and want to see about the best way to upgrade that.

I want to know about upgrading processors as the old g4. What is compatible?

If I am upgrading the macbookpro how much of it can I then simply transfer across to the older machine?

Reaction score
Audio Record problem in Power Mac G-4 Tower

Hiya

So basically I have an old macbookpro that I am gradually upgrading and got an even older mac g4 tower for free and want to see about the best way to upgrade that.

I want to know about upgrading processors as the old g4. What is compatible?

If I am upgrading the macbookpro how much of it can I then simply transfer across to the older machine?

My Power Mac G-4 (10.4.11) has No audio in Mic input but there is audio input with web cam plugged into USB Port. Any ideals? Edwin Thoma; (816) 316-3762 (call or Tex).

Reaction score
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/274928-first-upgrading-project-g4-tow

Check to see the possibilities of installing/programming a new/larger processor. Also, you can increase the RAM significantly. Go to YouTube & type in "Power Mac G-4 Upgrades" & a host of video's will be available.:D

OP
S
Reaction score
Check to see the possibilities of installing/programming a new/larger processor. Also, you can increase the RAM significantly. Go to YouTube & type in "Power Mac G-4 Upgrades" & a host of video's will be available.:D

I am gonna up the ram in my macbookpro to 4gb and put the 2gbs worth from it in the old g4.

The problem I am having with processors is that I don't know what will be compatible. :L
Whats the best one I can get that will work with it?

Reaction score
Type "Sonnet Processor for Power Mac G-4" Into Search. Then, when on web page, put info of your Mac (model, OS, current processor speed, etc) and you will find results. Be sure to download instructions to ensure that you will feel comfortable you can do the job yourself.
What Mac do you have. A new (depending on processor) you purchase can be costly!
Edwin Thoma, Sr
816-316-3762

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The cost of a G4 CPU upgrade will be equal to, or more than, the cost of a late model G5. If you are going to lash out your hard earned, really consider abandoning the G4 and look for a Core 2 Duo Intel machine such as an iMac. Better investment by far.

OP
S
Reaction score
Looking into costs it looks like it isnt worth doing much with the g4 other than chuck some spare ram in.

Will use it for a bit of learning by taking apart and putting back together again. Seems to be all its good for really. ;) (and maybe ubuntu later)

Thanks for the help everyone. x

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.