Problems since 10.7.4 update

Reaction score
Since downloading the latest update I cannot access Speedchecker.org at all and the speedchecker at BBMax doesn't work correctly, giving speeds of anywhere between 2meg and 10meg - my line speed is 5meg.

Mail keeps asking for the mail server password but downloads emails anyway.

I thought that I had got some sort of malware but nothing shows up so I assume that the latest update is the cause. Why does Apple issue half-baked updates?

I just wish I could revert to 10.7.3. I am no techie so don't blind me with science, please!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may have gotten some corruption with the 10.7.4 update. Download and install the Lion combo update which includes all updates up to and including 10.7.4. Go to the LINK.

Reaction score
same issues

I am also having problems with the update. Uggghhhh apple.

Mail app is giving me trouble too. Computer has completely frozen up and will not boot now.

OP
Z
Reaction score
You may have gotten some corruption with the 10.7.4 update. Download and install the Lion combo update which includes all updates up to and including 10.7.4. Go to the LINK.

That is the one I downloaded which caused the trouble. I see that I am not the only one having a problem caused by it.

I'm not too keen to download it again especially as it is a massive download - why didn't they simply have an update for 10.7.3 instead of this cumbersome way of doing it?

I am not at all impressed with Apple, having used them for many years and 3 computers, 2 of which are lying idle due to my local Mac repairer not being able to replace a graphics chip and therefore rendering the otherwise perfect iMac just so much junk. Really green modus operandi, I don't think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
Only giving a combo update may not be a brilliant way of doing a update .
On other hand making a clone of you're HD before updating could not harm you and you can always goes back to the situation before the update .
Any how that is my of updating both on the Mac and linux box

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What are you both talking about? The Lion update to 10.7.4 is available as a single update and also combined. The reason to use the combined update is to resolve problems that may have occurred with the single update. You should only use the combined update if the single update causes errors or problems.

Regardless, you should always have a working backup before updating the operating system.

(The 10.7.4 update and the Safari 5.1.7 updates can be downloaded stand alone not just in combined format.)

OP
Z
Reaction score
What are you both talking about? The Lion update to 10.7.4 is available as a single update and also combined. The reason to use the combined update is to resolve problems that may have occurred with the single update. You should only use the combined update if the single update causes errors or problems.

Regardless, you should always have a working backup before updating the operating system.

(The 10.7.4 update and the Safari 5.1.7 updates can be downloaded stand alone not just in combined format.)

Software Update only showed the combined update. What am I supposed to do - ferret around for an alternative on the Apple web site? Not all of us are computer nerds and we assume that what Apple tells us to do is what we should do.

There was no mention of an alternative. If it had, I would have downloaded that instead.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There was no mention of an alternative. If it had, I would have downloaded that instead.

I don't know what could have possibly gone wrong with your software update, however, I have never seen the auto updater show a combined update for download rather than a single update. As a matter of fact, the combined update is almost never available at the same time as the single update.

Were you notified of the update automatically or did you look for it yourself? In any event, for future reference now you know how the OS X software update works.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sorry but here I updated 3 different Macs. There were two separate updates, 10.7.4 and after that Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Software Update only showed the combined update. What am I supposed to do - ferret around for an alternative on the Apple web site? Not all of us are computer nerds and we assume that what Apple tells us to do is what we should do.

Are you updating from 10.7.3 or something earlier? If you are updating from something before 10.7.3, you will only see the combo update. Also if you were lacking previous software updates, sometimes the combo update will be the only option so everything you missed is installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.