apple TV sound problem

Reaction score
My Apple TV setup works fine, for a while. But usually after watching for an hour, more or less, of streaming content, the audio suddenly gets really bad - voices become totally muddled and unintelligible. People sound like aliens talking. (But I don't want you to think I'm hearing voices...)
To fix this, I can back out of streaming mode, go to cable for a moment, then come back and it sounds okay. I am rarely able to watch an entire movie without doing this at least once.
Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,

Can you view the signal strength indicator in the ATV settings ? How many bars are showing? Also can you tell us a bit more about your specs and set-up please ?

OP
L
Reaction score
Connectivity does not seem to be the problem - 4 bars most of the time. I just replaced my router, but the problem was not solved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Connectivity does not seem to be the problem - 4 bars most of the time. I just replaced my router, but the problem was not solved.

There are 3 versions of ATV and I don't know how you have it connected to your TV or AV amp or what output of audio you have the ATV set to . Can you supply more info?

Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem. I turn the sound off for a minute and then the audio is fine. This occurs watching anything on my comp.

Reaction score
Same crackling problem

Hi- did anyone ever figure out how to resolve this? I'm having the very same issue. Sometime about an hour after watching (or streaming music via air play) the sounds goes crazy and sounds alien-like. As soon as I back out and turn off, then back on it'll work fine for another hour.

I've had my apple tv for over a year so I'm not sure Apple would cover it and switch it out.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Does either of you own a Toshiba or Panasonic TV... cause these models are known to have these problems.
Anyway, it seems to be an IOS issue, which Apple may resolve or not, but there is a workaround until that happens.

-On ATV2, go to Settings
-Go to Audio & Video
-Go to Audio Output
-Change it from Auto to 16-bit.
-Feel free to change it back to Auto.

If power to the ATV gets shut off, and the noises return... you will need to check these settings again.

SM

Reaction score
Atv

I have the same problem changed apple TV once and router 2 x Has anyone resolved this ?

Reaction score
Audio still messed up

Does either of you own a Toshiba or Panasonic TV... cause these models are known to have these problems.
Anyway, it seems to be an IOS issue, which Apple may resolve or not, but there is a workaround until that happens.

-On ATV2, go to Settings
-Go to Audio & Video
-Go to Audio Output
-Change it from Auto to 16-bit.
-Feel free to change it back to Auto.

If power to the ATV gets shut off, and the noises return... you will need to check these settings again.

SM

I own a Toshiba Regza. I tried the 16bit/auto switch and it'll fix it temporarily but about an hour later of watching tv, the funky sound comes back. So now I just seem to have the option of backing all the way out, switching the audio setting, or just turning it off and back on again.

I'm surprised Apple hasn't pushed out a new update to help resolve this. Does anyone know if there's a general schedule for deployment of Apple TV updates?

And SM, thanks for your response.

Reaction score
tried this over the weekend it solved it at first but then happened again an hour later and it came back again :(

Reaction score
I own a Toshiba Regza. I tried the 16bit/auto switch and it'll fix it temporarily but about an hour later of watching tv, the funky sound comes back. So now I just seem to have the option of backing all the way out, switching the audio setting, or just turning it off and back on again.

I'm surprised Apple hasn't pushed out a new update to help resolve this. Does anyone know if there's a general schedule for deployment of Apple TV updates?

And SM, thanks for your response.

UPDATE: I took it to Apple's Genius Bar and they confirmed the funky sounds so it's not my Toshiba Regza... Because it was over a year old they said they could swap it out for another ATV2 for $60.... I wasn't pumped but made the purchase since my alternative was resetting the audio ever hour or so.

So I went home and watched a couple of 45 min-long shows and sure enough the sound came back halfway through the second episode. I have a genius appointment today to let them know that their $60 solution didn't work. So I'm going to ask for my $60 back or they need to give me a new ATV3 to try.. SOO frustrating.

Reaction score
did anyone solved funky sound in appleTV?

UPDATE: I took it to Apple's Genius Bar and they confirmed the funky sounds so it's not my Toshiba Regza... Because it was over a year old they said they could swap it out for another ATV2 for $60.... I wasn't pumped but made the purchase since my alternative was resetting the audio ever hour or so.

So I went home and watched a couple of 45 min-long shows and sure enough the sound came back halfway through the second episode. I have a genius appointment today to let them know that their $60 solution didn't work. So I'm going to ask for my $60 back or they need to give me a new ATV3 to try.. SOO frustrating.

I see its an old issue, but did anyone solved this?
I am experiencing this kind of sounds after an hour of movie play. a new apple TV last version

Reaction score
I see its an old issue, but did anyone solved this?
I am experiencing this kind of sounds after an hour of movie play. a new apple TV last version

I recently purchased a Apple TV 4 and have run into this problem. Appears that they have not fixed it yet. Any suggestions/workarounds? I have found that I can unplug/reinsert the HDMI cable or switch input sources back and forth to "reset" the problem for a while. But this is not a acceptable fix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.