External Harddisk.

K

kasper.f

Hi.
I have an external harddisk, which for some reason, my mac thinks is read-only. If it plug it into my regular windows PC, I can see all folders, and both write and delete objects. But when I plug it into my mac, some of the folders are not visible anymore, AND I can neither write nor delete. I've tried to uncheck the "write protection" field when I'm on my windows pc, but this didn't help. The mac simply says that I don't have sufficient priviledges..

Can someone help me?

- Kasper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
try going into disk utility and repairing the permissions on the hard drive

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I forget the pc disk formats. What is the format of the external disk? Is it pcfs or ntfs or somthing like that. If it is, that is the problem. Mac OS can only read those file systems.

OP
K

kasper.f

rman said:
I forget the pc disk formats. What is the format of the external disk? Is it pcfs or ntfs or somthing like that. If it is, that is the problem. Mac OS can only read those file systems.

it's NTFS. Is this something I could do something about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
backup the info and reformat to a file system that plays nicely with both os's, i forget which one it is though, sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
FAT32 is what you are going to have to reformat too, in order for both windows and mac to read and write to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.