Are there any compatibility issues upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
I head there were a few software compatibility issues when upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion and I was wondering if they have been ironed out.

I want to upgrade and my iMac can run Lion so I just wanted to make sure all was OK before proceeding.

Are there are any issues I need to be aware of before taking this step? I've been a Mac user for around 14 months so Im not aware of best practice. For example is a straight upgrade OK?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I head there were a few software compatibility issues when upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion and I was wondering if they have been ironed out.

This depends on what you mean by "software compatibility" issues.

On one hand this could mean "glitches" within the OS itself. But since we are on Lion version 10.7.4...any major glitches have been taken care of (I'm not really sure there were any major problems to begin with).

On the other hand...someone might define "software compatibility" as some programs that work fine with OS 10.6...may not run under OS 10.7. This is something you need to research yourself (if this is a concern). You need to check if any of the apps. you currently use are 10.7 compatible/incompatible.

HTH,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
one way to test is invest in an external drive, copy old drive to new drive using carbon copy clone or super duper from internet.
test if external drive okay. by booting up from external one.
then switch from old to new drive.
load lion osx to new drive ( at this time is internal drive).
see lion osx has any affect on your mac, if okay then you are in business. otherwise re install old drive.
The worst thing can happen is the old drive can be used as backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The only real compatibility issues is running older PPC software. If you use it under Snow Leopard, find a replacement before you upgrade to Lion as it won't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I would recommend that you update to iPhoto 11 if you have iPhone and want to enjoy the benefits of iCloud and Photostream as intended.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Sorry for not being clear enough. I meant compatibility issues relating to 3rd party software but Im mainly referring to the likes of Excel, Word and PowerPoint which are from 2011.

The external drive may be an option so thank you all for your help/replies.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry for not being clear enough. I meant compatibility issues relating to 3rd party software but Im mainly referring to the likes of Excel, Word and PowerPoint which are from 2011.

No problem with Office 2011, it works well with Lion. For other applications that you have you might want to take a look here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.