External Harddrive Format problem on Macbook

Reaction score
I own a macbook and a samsung harddrive. Recently, my harddrive got a virus so I needed to restore is back to its original settings and wipe everything off it. When I put data on the harddrive from my mac, it is fine, and when I plug the harddrive into a windows computer, the data is all there and it is fine - BUT when I plug the harddrive back into my mac again, all the data is missing. This keeps happening, and I have tried using different data, so it must be the harddrive. I need help, I am thinking it might be the format of my harddrive or something but I am not very tech savvy so I don't want to do any more damage. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
How are you formatting the drive and what file system (NTFS, HFS, FAT32 etc) are you using?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.