Does external bluray writer need anything beyond USB 2?

Reaction score
I have an internal LG bluray burner in my Windows pc that I would like to use with an iMac. I did some hunting and found external boxes that would work to house a 5.25" optical drive. However, one sales rep was telling me that I would be limited by USB, and should at least get a firewire box.

I'm fully aware that Firewire is faster than USB 2, but USB 2 maxes out at around 480 Mbps, right? Optical drives don't get anywhere even close to that speed, do they? I don't mind getting a firewire box, but it's a $100 box vs a $30 box, and if the extra $70 isn't doing anything for me at all, I might as well put it into something else. If we were talking hard drives and not optical drives, then it would be a different story.

Am I understanding this correctly, or way out to lunch? Are there any benefits, other than throughput, to going with Firewire?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Firewire is arguably more robust but I run my Blu-ray drive to my iMac using USB and never had an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
FWIW, since the BD video spec is a max of 54Mbps, you're fine with either :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It could be, I'm going from memory. USB 2's MAX spec is 480, but in practice it's much lower. It's a shared bus design. Either way, from the wiki link

BD Video movies have a maximum data transfer rate of 54 Mbit/s, a maximum AV bitrate of 48*Mbit/s (for both audio and video data), and a maximum video bit rate of 40*Mbit/s.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
It could be, I'm going from memory. USB 2's MAX spec is 480, but in practice it's much lower. It's a shared bus design. Either way, from the wiki link

BD Video movies have a maximum data transfer rate of 54 Mbit/s, a maximum AV bitrate of 48*Mbit/s (for both audio and video data), and a maximum video bit rate of 40*Mbit/s.

ok. Thanks. I'll never actually be playing a bluray movie on it, anyways (I have a console player and 60" plasma tv for that). I just use them for backing up data, and didn't want the burns to die because USB 2.0 couldn't keep up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.