Have G4, need to support scsi. Panther?

Reaction score
Hi all. I was just given an old 4x5 Phase One digital camera that I'm trying to get running. It needs a scsi connection. Even though the original manual, from the late nineties, calls for Mac OS 7.5 or Windows 95 I'm hoping it'll work with a later os that supports scsi. I have an old G4 that currently has 10.5 on it, and it works very badly, if not at all w/ scsi. My question is how to proceed. Amazon sells OS 9.1 new. Should I zero data the machine, and load a new copy of 9.1 onto the G4? I've always been confused by the G4, as I remember when I got it it had both classic mode and ....the newer style both installed. Sorry for my lack of language here! Or perhaps I can find a new disc of Panther. I think Panther supported scsi. If this makes sense, and you have any advice, it'll be very appreciated. Thanks. Nick

Reaction score
I'm thinking your problem isn't with the system or with scsi but with the lack of drivers for the camera.
You "might" not be able to find drivers for the newer systems for such an old camera. I would contact Phase One about it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi all. I was just given an old 4x5 Phase One digital camera that I'm trying to get running. It needs a scsi connection. Even though the original manual, from the late nineties, calls for Mac OS 7.5 or Windows 95 I'm hoping it'll work with a later os that supports scsi.

Here's the deal. "cradom" hit the nail on the head. Your biggest issue is drivers for the camera. There is a huge difference between OS 7.5 & OS 9.

And if you're talking OS X (10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, etc.)...then you're talking a HUGE difference between Classic OS 7.5 and OS X!!!

You need to find out what the latest drivers are for this camera...and then find out what the "newest" OS you can run with those drivers. Once you figure this out...then you will know what OS to install on that Powermac G4.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
I've got the drivers on a phase one disc, but I need to load 9.2 over 10.5.8 cos 9.2 will support scsi. How do I install 9.2? I've put the 9.2 disk in and reboot, holding down C, but I keep opening up with my 10.5.8 background.

Reaction score
Ok, unless you've installed a SCSI card in the G4, you cant plug an SCSI camera into it at all. I don't know of any G4's with a SCSI port. (I may be wrong here)
Also, I don't think it's a matter of the OS supporting SCSI but of the drivers only running in OS 9, or earlier.
Which G4 is exactly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Look on craigs list for an older windows desktop and then for a SCSI card that can be installed. Install Win95 and then install the drivers.

Good luck...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
make sure you contact the manufacturer of the back. Camera systems | image software may help with older drivers, however I really dont think it is worth worrying about, considering if it is calling for SCSI and lists Win95. You probably don't even have 3 MP even at 4x5.

OP
N
Reaction score
It's a mirror door g4 from 2002, and yes it has a scsi drive. I used it with a microtek film scanner for years, until I loaded it with 10.5.8. Microtek told me 10.5.... wouldn't work. The camera itself records images 7000 x 5200 pixels that's a nice size file, very hi res, so I do think it's worth the effort to get it up and running. Now, if I go to system prefs> start up disc, I can see an image of the 9.2 disc in have in the cd drive, but when I highlight it and click restart nothing happens. This 9.2 disc isn't an original disc. Maybe that's my problem. I haven't found 9.2 elsewhere, but I know Amazone has 9.0 for $30. Maybe that's my best next step. But I'm not opposed to doing the windows way. Am I missing something obvious??

OP
N
Reaction score
just learned my mirror g4 doesn't run 9 only 9.2, so I won't be buying that from Amazon. Also I need original instal disks. Those are available there $50. Or headgap.com sells old drives installed with tiger and 9. Hooray - I really hope theyr'e still in biz. Will try tomorrow and follow up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 Clamshell 366mhz+Firewire, PowerMac G4 MDD 2003 1.25Ghz(Single), Mac LC520 25MHZ
Yeah, For the MDD you need the original restore disks to get OS9 installed.
They're really hard to find however...

If you CAN find a cheap Win. machine, That might be the best way to go. If you look around on trash day, you might be able to find one for free... haha. I've found several free computers, Macs and PCs on the curb. Maybe you'll get lucky!

But if that doesn't work out for you, here's what I say-- If you need OS9 ONLY for the camera, I don't think its worth the effort... If you don't already have the restore disks... They're just a pain to track down. Just get a cheap PC with Win95.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.