burning movies from iMovie to DVD

sec

Reaction score
I am a new MacBook Pro user and would like to find out what software is recommended in order to burn movies from imovie to DVD. I don't have iDVD included on my MAC, as it was a recent purchase and is no longer included. My intention is to download video from our digital camcorder to iDVD and then burn to DVD to allow to be viewed on MAC, PC or TV. Also interested in burning photo shows from iPhoto to DVD. I tried Burn, but the DVD only seems to work on my MAC. I also tried Hand Brake, but was only able to convert the file, but not burn to DVD. I saw a suggestion to buy a boxed version of iLife in order to get DVD, but was told by Apple Support that the resolution was limited and that is one of the reasons they no longer include it with new MACs. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hey Sec -

Welcome to the boards(my first, welcome to the boards post, woohoo!!) I recently had sort of the same issue. I had made a slide show using aperture 3, and found out there was no way to burn it to a DVD, with out the use of another application. There are few out there, but I chose to go with Roxio's Toast. It is a bit on the pricey side but IMO well worth it, and very easy to use. I also found it weird that they don't include a way to burn things to a disk. Hope this helps. I am sure others will give their advice as well.

Hwilensky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
in order to get DVD, but was told by Apple Support that the resolution was limited
That's because the resolution of all standard dvds is limited:

To record moving pictures, DVD-Video uses either MPEG-2 compression at up to 9.8 Mbit/s (9,800 kbit/s) or MPEG-1 compression at up to 1.856 Mbit/s (1,856 kbit/s).

The following formats are allowed for MPEG-2 video[7]:

At 25 frames per second, interlaced (commonly used in regions with 50 Hz image scanning frequency):

720 × 576 pixels (same resolution as D-1)
704 × 576 pixels
352 × 576 pixels (same as the China Video Disc standard)
352 x 288 pixels

At 29.97 frames per second, interlaced (commonly used in regions with 60 Hz image scanning frequency):

720 × 480 pixels (same resolution as D-1)
704 × 480 pixels
352 × 480 pixels (same as the China Video Disc standard)
352 x 240 pixels
DVD-Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.