• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

USB Streaming to a MB Air

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am new to the mac air and just about all my gadgets and programs don't work with apple. The last straw was when I had an occasion to stream something and the mac didn't recognize my streaming camera. So I am forced to install a retail copy of windows xp via bootcamp.

I have no firewire on the mac air so I must use the USB. The camera is a Sony (i know) TRV-350 that supports USB streaming and it has a firewire output which is now useless to me, I guess.

btw, for those people who stream on occasion, we will be in trouble soon. None of the new consumer camcorders or laptops come with firewire anymore.

So does anyone know if this is going to work? I know it won't be great but I am just shooting people talking in one place. thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you're dealing with video I might suggest that the MacBook Air wasn't the best choice with its lack of FireWire and limited on-board storage. MacBook pros come with both upgradable storage and FireWire.

Also you have a now, quite old digital 8 camcorder. So compatibility on any modern platform is going to get increasingly limited.

In light of very capable HD webcams being available at very reasonable prices I'd suggest buying one of those rather than using your existing camcorder.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks mrplow,
I realize that now, however, weight was a huge factor for me as i travel quite a bit. I stream once every couple of years I guess. The reason I got that old dig 8, from a pawn shop, was because its ability to pass-through analog to digital signals. Needed to convert old 8 mm to dvd's. Highly desirable item on ebay. I was going to do it, just never got around to it. I didn't think of my old laptop blowing up, but i digress.

I did think about a webcam but they don't zoom in. A HD webcam would be even harder to stream, no?

Whether its a SD webcam or my old dig 8, they both will be utilizing the USB port to stream, so how terrible is this going to be?? thanks so much for answering.
ps mac air lacks a line-in too ! How much do those mac pros weigh.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Zoom is an issue. Though if you don't need HD res most HD cameras have 3 x digital zoom. The alternative is a compact digital camera many have the facility to be used as webcams and have at least 3x optical zoom.

But as to USB. It'll be fine streaming SD and HD over USB.

Something like this will give you a mic in connection if that's any use.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hey this is great news!!

I can't wait to see how the stream comes out. I just have to decide if I use a venue hotspot or my own, not sure which would be faster.

The external sound card is really cool. Best Buy has one I can pick up today. I was bummed about not having a line in because I use a remote mic. Now I got something to plug it in to. This is just great, thank you so much!! jd

OP
J
Reaction score
Hey got a stupid question, will the USB stream both audio and video?

Thought I need to check this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's capable of it yes. Just depends on the device connected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.