GPS Reception And Maps Without Internet

Reaction score
Dear Friends,

I am (Still) newbie in Apple and Mac world. So forgive me if my this question(s) and help search sound silly, but I have to ask.

I already searched in the search engine but couldn't find anything.

Here is what I need: Receiving GPS signals in my chart (Map / Navigation) application without being dependent to internet and any mobile service provider.

I had very much hard time in Manila while trying to find an address where I had to attend a meeting and seminar. I had a driver, but the Maps application didn't work, and eventually I missed both of the important events.

I must be able to type the address where I have to go, and the application must direct me from my current location to the destination address, just like Maps app. With the GPS signal, I must be able to reach the destination "Without needing mobile coverage or internet".

The question is; is there any "Reliable" GPS and Navigation app (Either free or paid) that I can use anywhere in the world, either on the land or the sea? I will be back on the ships working as Captain soon. So, I need same (Such) program to use to draw my course on the oceans.

The "Compass" application's GPS reception generally works. But when I hook it into my computer (Either PC or Mac) the navigation software in the computer doesn't pick up those signals from IPhone. If this works, I won't need any other mobile (IPhone) app.

I will be grateful for any information. Thanks in advance . . .

Capt. Serdal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Is it an iPhone app you're after of an application for your MacBook?

If it's an iPhone app there are many GPS apps available that have pre-downloaded maps and need no network access to work.

Most come complete with one map and your can buy additional maps. I suspect you'll need different apps for sea and land.

The best place to start is looking in the Navigation part of the app store. There are so many I'd suggest you have a look through the descriptions of them and make yourself a short list of apps that sound suitable them post back with that list so that people can comment if they have specific experience with those apps.

C

chas_m

How do you expect the maps to update without any access to data whatsoever??

I travelled across the USA without using live data ... I would load the map of where I wanted to go that day at the hotel or nearby coffeeshop before I headed out and relied on it for the day, but of course it didn't update.

MrPlow is partially incorrect. There are many NAVIGATION and mapping apps that don't require a live connection to work, but GPS *does,* so there are NO *GPS* apps that work without access to data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
so there are NO *GPS* apps that work without access to data.

Sorry, but that's simply not true. You can use CoPilot Sat Nav, TomTom and Navigon without any kind of "mobile coverage or internet". Obviously you have to download the app and it's maps over some kind on connection but once installed no further connection to mobile data/wifi is required.

The iPhone have assisted GPS that uses cell towers to make the initial fix quicker but this isn't mandatory. The GPS receiver will work fine (if a little slower on start up) without any cell /wifi signal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The question is; is there any "Reliable" GPS and Navigation app (Either free or paid) that I can use anywhere in the world, either on the land or the sea? I will be back on the ships working as Captain soon. So, I need same (Such) program to use to draw my course on the oceans.

Did you just say that you'll be the captain of a ship, and that you need an mobile OS GPS program in order to navigate? Please let me know what ship this is!

Doug

C

chas_m

Sorry, but that's simply not true.

But it is, and you just confirmed it.

You can use CoPilot Sat Nav

So you're saying that satellite navigation isn't "data"?

Re-read what I actually said. I didn't qualify data as just being cellular.

What I actually said was that you can't use GPS without access to *some kind* of data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're just arguing semantics now. But fair enough, you didn't qualify data as being cellular. But the OP did and muddying the waters (pardon the pun) with word play hardly helps the OP resolve their question.

The OP asked about using navigation software "Without needing mobile coverage or internet" and that is entirely possible. Which was the point I was making.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
1. Get MotionX GPS Drive
2. Go into the app while connected to wifi somewhere and select the map area and levels you want to download.
3. Wait for the download to finish.
4. You now do not need a data connection (Cell or Wifi) for the GPS to provide door to door directions for that area you selected.

Somehow, you have to have a connection to download the maps, or where else are you going to get them.

If you cannot do that, then just go get a handheld standalone GPS unit.

OP
S
Reaction score
Dear Friends,

Thank you so much for your precious helps. I believe I caused a bit confusion by adding the GPS reception into the navigation software in my Mac laptop. I will start another thread about that issue later. Now I would like to focus on the iPhone GPS and Map subject.

I would like to use GPS signal on a map (Navigation) software (Application-App) wihout needing internet (WiFi or cable connection or internet connection via a mobile service provider, etc...)

Some of my friends suggested NavFree App, but it is good for North America only. As I mentioned in my example / experience when I was in Manila; let's say I need to go from X Street to @ street. When I type the street name of destination where I need to go, the map (Navigation) App must pinpoint the address I want to go, and direct me by drawing the route, and via GPS reception I will be able to find my way. Like Maps application.

Dear Mr. Plow, now I am searching the navigation Apps in the Apps store, and will continue searching in the internet.

Dear Chas_M, I don't really worry about the updates of the charts for the street names will not change that often. However, it is always very good idea to update the charts (Maps) from time to time because changes happen sometimes.

Dear Doug B, I generally (Day time) prefer and very much rely on my vintage Sextant and plot my position on the charts with the help of the astronomical objects such as stars and planets. However, at night and cloudy days GPS is a must. Every ship (Cargo ships are where I worked and will be working soon) has GPS devices but I would like to have my own GPS and Navigation unit particularly during heavy traffic navigation.

Dear Deckyon, thanks a lot for the precious info. I will search them very soon.

I agree with Mr. Plow, particularly GPS reception is supposed to be received directly, without needing any internet (Or data provider) connection. And plus once you have the charts (Of entire world), then it is done.

Very Best Regards . . .

Capt. Serdal

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.