Buy new iMac 27 or wait???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 MBP 15. 8gb ram ... iPad 3
Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice on a new iMac 27'. I absolutely love my Macbook Pro, So Ive decided to purchase a desktop. I've heard rumors that Apple will release the new iMac 27 this summer. So is it smart to buy now or just wait for the new one?? Thanks Guys.

Holly

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
- Is there a rush to purchase a 27" iMac?
- Do you need a 27" iMac ASAP?

If the answer to both questions is no...then go ahead and wait for a new model to be released.:)

- Is there some special feature about a new 27" iMac model that you just have to have?

This is a tough one to answer...since we would have almost no idea (for sure)...what improvements may be made. They could be major...or minor...which may or may not be worth the wait.

These are some things to think about regarding the purchase of a new 27" iMac.

- Nick

C

chas_m

I have to say that other than a move to Ivy Bridge processors and the likely removal of the optical drive, I'm not really expecting much of anything different with the next iMac. Of course, I know about as much about it as anyone outside Apple, which is to say nothing. :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I would have to echo Chas_m.

In the immortal words of Sgt Schultz, "I know nothing . . . nothing!" ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Same thing here... I'm also planning to buy iMac but lots of rumors that there's a better one coming soon. Anyway i'm not in a rush so I will wait for it.

Guys, is it good not to have optical drive anymore? As @Chas_m say, optical drive might be removed in next iMac. Why Apple consider this one?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Guys, is it good not to have optical drive anymore? As @Chas_m say, optical drive might be removed in next iMac. Why Apple consider this one?

Depends on the user. How often do you find yourself needing an optical drive? If next to never...then a no optical drive iMac might be fine for you. Many things these days are downloadable off the internet (even Mac OS upgrades...no more disks)...so there is less & less need for an optical drive. Personally...I'm not ready to give up an optical drive just yet.

If I was going to buy a new 27" iMac (that's not released yet)...and if it came without an optical drive...in the back of my mind I would be thinking...I can always get an external USB optical drive if I really needed one.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Good one Nick. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice on a new iMac 27'. I absolutely love my Macbook Pro, So Ive decided to purchase a desktop. I've heard rumors that Apple will release the new iMac 27 this summer. So is it smart to buy now or just wait for the new one?? Thanks Guys.

Holly
WAIT!! There are already new benchmarks showing up for iMac, so the introduction should be imminent

Any Day Now

OP
Holly21
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 MBP 15. 8gb ram ... iPad 3
Thank You, Gentlemen!! Looks like i'll be waiting.

C

chas_m

Well, those benchmarks COULD have been faked (I mean it's no secret that Ivy Bridge is about 20 percent more efficient while reducing energy use). I'm not saying they were, I'm just saying might benefit some people to spread stories like this.

I personally expect an iMac refresh soon, but "soon" has different meanings to different people. If my MBP died right now and I'd decided to replace it with an iMac, there's NO WAY I could wait beyond a couple of days, my livelihood depends on my computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.