GOM Player for Mac

Reaction score
hi all. if this topic has been discussed before, i apologize for the repeat. I assume that most people are aware of the GOM player for windows. Recently i found that GOM player for mac also exists (had been looking for a while but forums kept saying it doesn't exist so i guess this is new release). After installing it, i played different formats and they all work well. i played avi, mkv, and mp4 video formats. The version is 1.0. is it safe to use this application at this early stage? i was a big fan of GOM when i had windows. Any thoughts on this? any other mac users out there using GOM player?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Why not just use Quicktime and Perian? That'll play most stuff.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Version numbers are largely meaningless. Firefox and Chrome are perfect examples of this. It could also be argued that the OS X version numbers are also largely meaningless - 10.x releases should be "minor" releases and I'm not sure I'd classify the 10.5/10.6/10.7 releases as "minor" upgrades (although who know how this might differ with the new release schedule). Another example is the Linux kernel. Version 2.6 was released in December of 2003. For nearly 7.5 years, the Linux developers worked on version 2.6. In July of 2011, the version number was changed to 3.0 with the following reason as an explanation: "there are no special landmark features or incompatibilities related to the version number change, it's simply a way to drop an inconvenient numbering system in honor of twenty years of Linux" (source). This version number changing isn't new to the Linux community either - Slackware linux jumped from version 4 to version 7 for "marketing" reasons (source). What I'm trying to get at is the inability to determine quality from a version number since they are so arbitrary. If you're really concerned, you'll need to figure out what the developers mean by "1.0".

Anyway, back on topic. You could also try VLC - it'll play just about anything thrown at it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.