Oops, dropped memory card in the CD slot

Reaction score
Oops, I just inserted my camera's memory card in the CD slot by mistake. My husband tried to pull it out but only pushed it in further, then he inserted a CD which probably pushed it in even more. I tried tipping the Mac on its side and gently shaking but it didn't come out. Can't see it, can't hear it rattling around. I do hear the computer trying to eject it. So we've unplugged the thing and will take it to the Apple store tomorrow. Anyone had this problem? What's the likely outcome and what's the worst case scenario?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
then he inserted a CD which probably pushed it in even more.

Not a good idea!

Most likely outcome, the Apple store should be able to remove it fairly easily, even if it requires some disassembling, it's unlikely that anything was actually damaged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I heard about people doing this, they always say, "Be careful when putting in the SD card so you don't put it in the wrong one."
It's fairly common. Apple store should get it out easily.

Reaction score
Solution

Just did the same thing, but got the card out myself.

Solution: Take a blank CD and break it in half. Now you have sort of a scoop you can safely use to reach inside the disc slot and scoop out the card. I figured I was least likely to damage the drive if I was using something designed to be in there in the first place.

Anyway good luck. Hope you can save a trip to the store.

Reaction score
additional info!

Regarding my previous post:

I should be clear that I powered down the Mac first! The last thing I would want is the CD drive trying to grab a broken disc out of my hands.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.