Airport Snow and OS X 10.6.8

Reaction score
I have an iMac running OS X 10.6.8. A friend gave me an older Airport Base Station (Snow). I figured it would be a simple matter to plug it in, configure it and start using it, but I keep bupming into a wall.

When I plugged the Base Station in, it went through the startup sequence of flashing lights just like the manual said and then went to a slow flash of the center light. I believe this indicates it has been reset.

Since the manual did not describe a setup procedure I could perform on the iMac, I went to the forums. Here's what I think I understand. To configure this older Base Station, I need to run [Airport Utility for Graphite and Snow 4.2.8]. I downloaded it and it would not run on my iMac. Back to the forums to discover I need to run it with Rosetta Stone. It still will not run.

Any ideas?

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, I have given up configuring the Airport Snow. I was able to connect to it using someone elses older machine and an ethernet cable with a hard factory reset, but it was intermittant. According to the info I have you get 5 minutes to configure the device after a hard reset. I always got an error when trying to read the configuration. Also, it only showed up less than half the time after the hard reset. I conclude there must be a hardware failure.

So...I went a bought an Airport Extreme. Setup and configuration were simple and quick. Signal strength is great, noise low and interference minimal. However, the internet connection is so slow as to be almost unusable. When I plug in my DSL directly to the computer everything is fine. When using the Extreme, not so much.

Hardware iMac, Airport Extreme Base Station, At&T DSL with Siemens Speedstream 4100 modem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.