new macbook won't charge to100%

Reaction score
I'm a new user to the mac world. Should I be concerned that my new macbook won't charge to 100%? Is there something wrong with the battery? It's on its second cycle.

From what I have researched, the newer mac don't need to be calibrated so does it mean my battery is damaged?

Thanks in advance

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Try using the computer on battery power until the battery hits something like 80%...then plug it in & let the battery charge. Hopefully it will go to 100%.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
try also not to turn on your mac. charge it until you see green lit on charger plug. that should go green.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
try also not to turn on your mac. charge it until you see green lit on charger plug. that should go green.

Sometimes some Apple laptops will not begin the "recharge the battery" process until the battery charge gets to 95% or below.

For example...my MacBook Pro is currently sitting at 99% battery charge (plugged in)...and my chargers light is green. It will then go (over time) to 98%, 97%, 96%, 95%...and then the charger light will turn orange, and charge the battery back to 100%...then turn green again.

Maybe you've experienced things differently...but that's how it works with my MacBook Pro.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Sometimes some Apple laptops will not begin the "recharge the battery" process until the battery charge gets to 95% or below.

For example...my MacBook Pro is currently sitting at 99% battery charge (plugged in)...and my chargers light is green. It will then go (over time) to 98%, 97%, 96%, 95%...and then the charger light will turn orange, and charge the battery back to 100%...then turn green again.

Maybe you've experienced things differently...but that's how it works with my MacBook Pro.

- Nick

Great observation. I usually unplug the charger once it's fully charged (green). That's healthy for the battery. I'm avoiding it plugged in a long period of time when its full.:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I usually unplug the charger once it's fully charged (green). That's healthy for the battery. I'm avoiding it plugged in a long period of time when its full.:)

My MacBook Pro is plugged in 99% of the time...that's why I notice these little details.;)

Since I keep my MBP plugged in 99% of the time...I have my own maintenance method that keeps my battery "fresh & healthy" (which doesn't involve unplugging the computer once the charger light turns green)!:)

I could discuss this in more detail...but it's a different topic (discussed a zillion times here on Mac-Forums);)

Unplugging the computer immediately after the charger light turns green is actually NOT very good for the battery (unless you actually need to use the computer on battery power)...since this leads to the accumulation of unnecessary battery charge/discharge cycles.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice one. So where can I find it in the forum? Zillion times must have been a lot.hahaha. kiddin'. Do you have it in sticky?

As far as I know, the kind of batteries we have is heat susceptible. Charging it will create heat. Charge(100%)/Discharge(20%) cycle is much better than adding too much heat on your battery. Plugging it 99% of the time is unhealthy.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice one. So where can I find it in the forum? Zillion times must have been a lot.hahaha. kiddin'. Do you have it in sticky?

No I don't believe that it's in a sticky. I mention my method almost every time a discussion about how to "maintenance" a laptops battery discussion pops up... when the "detail" about should the computer be left plugged in when the battery is fully charged.

The method I use has kept my battery "fresh & healthy" for the past 3 years...basically with the computer plugged in 99% of the time.

Since my MBP is plugged in 99% of the time my battery only has something like 29 charge/discharge cycles on it in 3+ years...yet my battery is still like new. Gets about 4.5-5.0 hours on a full charge (just like a new battery).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I just edited my post.
Thanks again for the detailed reason why you charge it 99% of the time. But I still have to weigh things up.hehe

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Charge(100%)/Discharge(20%) cycle is much better than adding too much heat on your battery. Plugging it 99% of the time is unhealthy.

Sorry...not true. This method will only achieve what you're trying to avoid...and that's wearing out your battery prematurely by accumulating unnecessary charge/discharge cycles.

If what you said was true...then when the computer is sleeping (turned off) and plugged in...the battery would get warm/hot...which doesn't happen. The battery stays "stone cold".

What you mentioned is fine...except that you only NEED to do this (maybe) once/month at most if the computer is left plugged in all the time. This does not need to be done on a continuous ongoing basis....day after day, week after week.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the advice. So, I should let the charger plug even my MBP is off, fully charged or being use?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the advice. So, I should let the charger plug even my MBP is off, fully charged or being use?

Absolutely. If you do not need to run it off the battery...then leave it plugged in. And do a periodic battery drain down to say 80% every couple weeks as a maintenance procedure. This is what I do since I have my computer plugged in 99% of the time.

If you use your laptop on battery power occasionally (work, school. library, etc.)...then you do not need to do this. But leaving the laptop plugged in at all other times is fine.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again. I appreciate it Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks for the info Nick, much appreciated. is the battery defective if it only reaches 99%? (tried your advice)

The extra info about maintenance was useful too. I've been researching on how to maintain the health of the battery but there is conflicting information so that has left me confused.

to understand correctly:
*use AC power when available even if battery is fully (green light) charged
*it is safe to keep the AC power attached when turned off and not in use, e.g at night (I've been pulling the plug out)
*discharge the battery monthly

What do you do if you only use the macbook say twice a week? can you still keep the AC plugged in? is it safe to keep it plug in for long periods when not in use? I've read that you discharge the battery to 50% and let it sit with the plug out if you don't use the macbook much.

As for at night, do you "shut down" or do you let it "sleep"? I usually shut down. I have wondered what the sleep mode is for, is it actually for "sleep" like us human.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
What do you mean by "safe?" It's not going to catch fire. In most countries, it would be illegal to sell something that would become dangerous if simply plugged into a wall outlet.

As for what is best for the battery...your battery is there to work for you, not the other way around. The only thing I would avoid is draining it to absolute zero every day. Other than that, just accept that, sometime in the next two to six years, you'll probably be buying a new battery for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.