Password problems

Reaction score
Trying to install an update on my MacBook Pro. Password is required. Tried the one I wrote down - no good. Tried every variation I can think of - no good. Any way to find my password that does not need the password to access it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Do you have the login password (password during computer start-up)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Seems like you are set to Automatic Login.

Please check System Preferences>Users & Groups>Login Options>
Is the one shown next to "Automatic Login:" your login name? If yes, then you'll not be prompted with password when you login.

You really need a password when you do some installations or anything that's system related.
There are few methods I know how to change password but it's too risky if you're new to mac. You need to be in the recovery system.

The safest thing I know to recover your password is thru your Apple ID.
Try this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I startup or restart I am not asked for my password.

Try pressing enter when you're asked for a password upon installing an application. You may have not assigned an admin password. Let us know if that works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.