Linux install on "OldWorld" mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Has anyone tried installing Linux on a mac older than a beige G3? I've got a PowerTower Pro with a G3 upgrade that I'd like to run Linux on, but I haven't found a distro that is easy enough to install or up-to-date enough to make me want to replace Mac system 9. I have tried running OS X with xpostfacto, but its pretty slow, and I've heard that some linux distros are fast on PPC. I've never used linux so please don't reply in linux speak. Also, don't make fun of my powertower.

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am not sure if this will work on that old a Mac even with the G3 upgrade or not, but might be worth a try. Ubuntu Linux. They have a Live CD version that you can download and run off the CD. That way you can see if it will work and find all the hardware or not. If not, you are out just one CD.

I have ran it on all the G3's in this house and all works perfectally. Oldest I have tried it on though is a iMac 233 G3, the first iMac. Can't hurt to try the Live CD.

OP
jhelm007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
dtravis7 said:
I am not sure if this will work on that old a Mac even with the G3 upgrade or not, but might be worth a try. Ubuntu Linux. They have a Live CD version that you can download and run off the CD. That way you can see if it will work and find all the hardware or not. If not, you are out just one CD.

I have ran it on all the G3's in this house and all works perfectally. Oldest I have tried it on though is a iMac 233 G3, the first iMac. Can't hurt to try the Live CD.

Thanks, I looked at ubunu's website this afternoon and was thinking I'd give that a try. I'll let you know if it works after the weekend.

Anyone else got a recomendation?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.