ipad 3 muting volume

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 9400
Hi guys, bit of an annoying one on my few week old iPad 3. I'm not sure if its supposed to be like this or not.

When I want to turn the volume down (for arguments sake, lets say it is up full) & push the volume button down on the side, the volume goes down a couple of bars & then mutes (the volume bars all vanish).

Is there any way I can make the volume bars go down in increments the whole way down without muting itself after a few bars?

Hope I've explained that OK.

Cheers guys

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Don't press and hold the volume down button. You have to tap it quickly. If you hold it, it will zoom down all the way.

If you aren't holding it, but it's still exhibiting that behavior, you may have a defective iPad.

OP
weemax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How annoying. I can hold the button in to go up the volume - but not down.

Thank you for your help, at least I know now.

C

chas_m

This is a feature, not a bug. :)

No, really, it is. Very often, the iPad will make an unwanted sound because you forgot to mute the volume earlier, and users will in those situations want a very FAST way to mute the volume. So press-and-hold on the down part of the rocker indicates you want MUTE, while decreasing volume is a series of clicks.

Makes a lot of sense when you think about it really.

OP
weemax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quicker again to flip the switch set up for mute though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Unless you use that as an orientation lock......

OP
weemax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't, so that isn't applicable to the grievance I posted.

The bottom line is I want the sound to go down in increments, I have a button to mute the volume. This is not possible.

C

chas_m

Incorrect. Of course you can lower the volume in increments, don't be silly. You just can't HOLD the button down and have it go down in increments. I really don't see what the problem is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.