How do I know if my MacBook's logic board is broken?

Reaction score
While I was using my MacBook, I accidentally dropped it. I noticed the right parts of the keyboard doesn't work ( buttons ; ' . lkpooi <-- keys that are in that general area INCLUDING THE POWER BUTTON). Now, I took it to the Apple center and after diagnostics, they said that the logic board is broken and needs to be replaced. I thought this was weird because this seems like a problem with the top case where some keys do not work.

When it fell, everything was still normal except that some keys did not work.

Can anyone verify if this is really a broken logic board because I have to pay ALOT.

Also, should I request the Apple technicians to try to "force turn-on" my MacBook to see if the logic board is really the problem?
Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So, other than some keys and the power button not working, the machine functions without issue?

If that's true, it's unlikely to be a bad logic board (in my view). I would be looking to replace the top case (palm rest).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When it fell, everything was still normal except that some keys did not work.

Can anyone verify if this is really a broken logic board because I have to pay ALOT.

One easy way to test things is plug an external keyboard into the Macbook.

- If the same keys don't work on the external keyboard...then it just may be logic board related.
- If all the keys on the external keyboard DO work...then it's probably the topcase.

One question. If the power button is currently not working (as mentioned in post #1)...how are you turning the computer on?

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
I'm not using my Macbook currently. It's still with the Apple people. Also, I am almost sure that it's not the logic board because when it fell, the Macbook was fine save for a few keys + power button.

So, if the impact supposedly caused the logic board to be defective, then when it fell, it should have shut down or something.

This is why I firmly believe that it is not THAT serious.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not using my Macbook currently. It's still with the Apple people. Also, I am almost sure that it's not the logic board because when it fell, the Macbook was fine save for a few keys + power button.

So, if the impact supposedly caused the logic board to be defective, then when it fell, it should have shut down or something.

This is why I firmly believe that it is not THAT serious.

It would have been nice if the MacBook was in your possession...so we could proceed with troubleshooting. Kinda hard to have a meaningful discussion if you don't have the computer..."what-if's, maybe's, and guessing" on both our parts won't be very productive.

I sure hope as well that we're talking about a newer MacBook or MacBook Pro. Because if we're talking about an older MacBook (3-4 years old)...it may not be worth repairing (cost of repairs too much compared to the current value of the computer).

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
I got this one just last year so no problem there (but our school requires all of us to bring this specific mac so I will really have to stick with this Mac)

I'm going back to the Apple store tomorrow. You're saying it's better to have it in my possession. Are you recommending that I get it back from the Apple people and troubleshoot it myself or do you recommend that I explain it to them more properly?

I am also capable of opening the Mac and tinkering with the hardware though. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
Regardless of if it's the logic board or top case, DON'T get it fixed at the Apple Store! Take it to an AASP.

OP
F
Reaction score
Regardless of if it's the logic board or top case, DON'T get it fixed at the Apple Store! Take it to an AASP.

I did send it to the apple service provider (there is one right beside the Apple store)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got this one just last year so no problem there (but our school requires all of us to bring this specific mac so I will really have to stick with this Mac)

Mentioning that this is a school computer & you just got it last year...puts a totally different spin on things. If this is a "school computer" which you are required to use...why isn't the repair/troubleshooting being handled thru your school?

I guess without more details...I don't totally understand the situation.

I'm going back to the Apple store tomorrow. You're saying it's better to have it in my possession. Are you recommending that I get it back from the Apple people and troubleshoot it myself or do you recommend that I explain it to them more properly?

What I'm saying is. If you want additional help from folks on Mac-Forums...it doesn't facilitate things if the computer is sitting on a repair technicians workbench somewhere. If we give you ideas to try..how can you try them...if you don't have the computer in your possession??;)

You NEED to decide how you want to handle this. Either you let the professionals diagnose & complete the repairs...or get the computer back...and see if any of the ideas from Mac-Forum members helps with the problem.

I mean come on...let's be honest. You have an expensive less than 1 year-old computer that you dropped...some stuff isn't working on it...thus you've got to realize no matter what...it's going to takes some $$$ to get this computer running again.

Are you capable & willing to do the repairs yourself? If not...then the professionals need to do it. If it truly is the logic board...that's going to be BIG BUCKS. If (as you mentioned)...the power button isn't even working...this would mean to me that this computer cannot even be turned on to begin troubleshooting.:(

Your call,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
You can turn the computer on by removing the bottom case and shorting the power circuit on the logic board with a small flat head screwdriver or pen knife. The drop likely damaged the top case, but it's also quite likely it damaged the connector to the top case on the logic board. If this is the case, both the top case and logic board need to be replaced.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can turn the computer on by removing the bottom case and shorting the power circuit on the logic board with a small flat head screwdriver or pen knife.

Are you sure you want to recommend this to a person with a less than 1 year-old MacBook Pro (which may or may not be a "bucket of bolts" at this point);)...and may have never taken apart a laptop computer in their life??

And if the computer isn't damaged too badly...it may still be worth quite a lot of $$$. Not sure I would want "virgin hands" doing this.;)

Just saying,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
Are you sure you want to recommend this to a person with a less than 1 year-old MacBook Pro (which may or may not be a "bucket of bolts" at this point);)...and may have never taken apart a laptop computer in their life??

All you have to do is remove 10 screws and posses the basic ability to play connect the dots and you can do it... My 7 year old nephew can do it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All you have to do is remove 10 screws and posses the basic ability to play connect the dots and you can do it... My 7 year old nephew can do it.

Not a very informed answer coming from an Apple Certified tech.!:(

What you're not considering is...there are folks out there who are nervous about upgrading the ram in their notebook. Thus in your previous post you're suggesting that someone:

- remove their MacBook Pro's bottom case
- and short-out the power circuit on the logic board with a pen knife or screw driver

All of this on a computer that may be worth more than $1000...to a person that you do not know their mechanical abilities or confidence level taking apart a computer.

I'm kind of disappointed that an Apple Certified Tech. doesn't see the downsides and risks to suggesting such an approach.:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
- remove their MacBook Pro's bottom case
- and short-out the power circuit on the logic board with a pen knife or screw driver

All of this on a computer that may be worth more than $1000...to a person that you do not know their mechanical abilities or confidence level taking apart a computer.

I'm kind of disappointed that an Apple Certified Tech. doesn't see the downsides and risks to suggesting such an approach.:(

The bottom case is a user removable part on this model.

Short circuiting the power on won't harm the machine, and as the machine is physically damaged, all warranties are void anyway... It's a valid diagnostic technique/tool if the user is willing to try it.

I'm not the one who told the OP that since the power button isn't working that the computer cannot be turned on (lol!)... seems to me you are just trying to cast attention away from the fact that you were totally wrong and got called.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... seems to me you are just trying to cast attention away from the fact that you were totally wrong and got called.

As a relatively new member here at Mac-Forums...you may or may not have noticed that we like to keep things as friendly as possible. This means no arguing, no name calling, no cursing, no spamming, no unauthorized advertising, no bullying, and we also like to be careful when it comes to potentially unsafe or risky repair suggestions.

What you suggested earlier falls under the "potentially unsafe or risky repair suggestions" heading. The OP certainly can decide for themselves whether to proceed with your suggestions or not...but at the same time it's also important that someone makes the OP aware when a repair suggestion is potentially unsafe or risky (that is potentially unsafe for the user or for the equipment).

As a Staff member at Mac-Forums this is my job. It's not about someone being "called-out" for something mentioned earlier.

If you would like to continue this conversation via PM...I would be more than willing to entertain your thoughts. But continuing this dialog in this thread is not necessary. You made your suggestion to the OP, I informed the OP that proceeding with that suggestion could be potentially unsafe or risky...and let's please leave it at that.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Mentioning that this is a school computer & you just got it last year...puts a totally different spin on things. If this is a "school computer" which you are required to use...why isn't the repair/troubleshooting being handled thru your school?

I guess without more details...I don't totally understand the situation.

What I'm saying is. If you want additional help from folks on Mac-Forums...it doesn't facilitate things if the computer is sitting on a repair technicians workbench somewhere. If we give you ideas to try..how can you try them...if you don't have the computer in your possession??;)

You NEED to decide how you want to handle this. Either you let the professionals diagnose & complete the repairs...or get the computer back...and see if any of the ideas from Mac-Forum members helps with the problem.

I mean come on...let's be honest. You have an expensive less than 1 year-old computer that you dropped...some stuff isn't working on it...thus you've got to realize no matter what...it's going to takes some $$$ to get this computer running again.

Are you capable & willing to do the repairs yourself? If not...then the professionals need to do it. If it truly is the logic board...that's going to be BIG BUCKS. If (as you mentioned)...the power button isn't even working...this would mean to me that this computer cannot even be turned on to begin troubleshooting.:(

Your call,

- Nick

The ownership of the Mac belongs to me but we all need to bring it to school to use as an educational tool. I would like to have it fix in under 2 weeks so I believe the best thing to do is to explain it to the technicians with full details.

I would just like to rephrase the original question.
-While turned on, my Macbook fell.
-Everything is fine ASIDE FROM SOME KEYS ON THE RIGHT INCLUDING THE POWER BUTTON did not work
-I took it to the service provider
-They said that they needed to replace the logic board
-I thought this was weird because if it was the logic board, the computer would've shut down as soon as it hit the floor

What do you guys think? Is it the logic board or is there no way to tell?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-I took it to the service provider
-They said that they needed to replace the logic board
-I thought this was weird because if it was the logic board, the computer would've shut down as soon as it hit the floor

What do you guys think? Is it the logic board or is there no way to tell?

I'm only guessing here...but it sounds like you're thinking that if the logic board is bad that the computer shouldn't be working at all. This is not the case.

Something can be damaged on a logic board that only effects something small (where the computer may partially work)...or could effect something major (where nothing works).

Laptop computers really aren't as complex from a repair standpoint as you might think. The major parts are:

- the display
- the optical drive
- the hard drive
- the top case (where the keyboard & trackpad are located)
- the logic board
- the battery

These are the things that a repair professional will look at...and determine what is working & what isn't. And if something is not working properly...then that is the part that is replaced. It sounds like the repair person you visited with says that the logic board is faulty...and we have to believe/trust that was the correct diagnosis.

If you look at the list of parts I made above...it's pretty easy to cross most of them off the list as the source of the problem...other than the logic board & the topcase. With just these two parts left...the repair professional did their examination...and it sounds like they determined the problem to be the logic board.

Replacement logic boards are very expensive...and whether the damage is very small or very large...the price is the same. Logic boards are not repairable...they are replaceable (swapped out, good parts for bad parts).

Unfortunately accidents happen. Laptop computers can be very fragile devices...they are not built to be dropped.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.