Hard Drive Up grade Macbook Pro late 2008 15"

Reaction score
I want to upgrade the hd on my Macbook Pro- to a seagate 750 7200 rpm
I have a 1tb Time Machine, can I reinstall directly from that once the hard drive has been installed. thanks for any help.
the specs are:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.41f2
Serial Number (system): W89134TJ71A

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This document should get you pointed in the right direction. Look at the section on restoring your entire system from Time Machine. I can be done and should work.
Basically the process involves booting from either the Lion recovery partition or a Snow Leopard DVD and choosing to restore from Time Machine.

If your current installation is running well and you like the setup it should also be possible to "clone" that setup to another drive. For that you would need a drive case of some sort to put the new drive in till cloning is complete. Right now I believe the only software that clones the main and recovery partitions is Carbon Copy Cloner.

Reaction score
I noticed you have 8GB, I didn't think you could upgrade more that a total of 4GB on the MBP 15 2008. Have you thought about getting a 256 or 512 SSD? I upgraded my 2008 to a 256 SSD and it runs remarkably faster.

OP
M
Reaction score
Originally they said you could only put up to 4 GB, however, I heard different recently and confirmed it with an Apple tech. My system is fine, now it needs a nice fast spacious hd. I already have 320 SSD, I am doing photography and video and want the Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 32 MB Cache 2.5 Inch
It depends on what you want to do-

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.