MacBook DVD Drive Error: Can't install Snow Leopard...

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in need of some help and advise please...

I own a Black MacBook4,1 (built late 2008). Currently running on OS X Leopard 10.5.8
I bought this MacBook 2nd hand at the beginning of 2011 via eBay. It didn't come with any CDs/DVDs or Install Discs of any description.

The internal CD/DVD Drive does not recognise Film DVDs, Retail Music CDs or the OS X Snow Leopard Disc I have just purchased to upgrade my MacBook system, but it does read/play MP3 CDs. I have attempted to use Disk Utility several times to diagnose & repair the errors but to no avail.

I have used an old Toshiba laptop to copy the contents of the new Snow Leopard Disc onto an SD Card with the idea of installing the new OS X via my SD Card through an USB port. Is this possible and if so, should I be aware of anything in particular? If this isn't possible does anyone have any ideas/suggestions, please? Also, does anyone have a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857E for sale or can you recommend where I might get hold of one please? (I'm also thinking of locating a MacBook which is going for spares/repairs...)

Like a lot of people at the moment, I am experiencing some very tough financial challenges so I really don't have a lot of money. However, I do need my notebook for my work and for the new business venture I am embarking on so, I will do what is necessary to keep it up and running properly.

Many thanks and kind regards,
Nigel.
N.E. England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Alas MB, MBP, Minis and iMacs all use slot loading DVR's which have a high failure rate. Maybe an external DVR would help you out. As for using a Toshiba to copy the SL DVD to a thumb stick, do not know if it will be bootable. Sure someone will advise if it is.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi harryb2448,
Since I wrote the message I have cleaned the optic with a proper Lens cleaner Kit but it made no difference. I also tried copying the contents of the Snow Leopard Disc on to a Data Pen via my old Toshiba laptop, but again, no joy there. It was predictable I suppose, but I thought I'd 'suck it & see'...
So, I can either take my MacBook to a Mac Workshop and pay a tidy sum to have it repaired, if possible...? Or I can do as you mentioned and buy an External DVR. If my Mac computer was a new model I would definitely take it to be repaired, but as it's out of it's Warranty now I really don't think I want to pay out Apple's Repair Fees. (I simply can't afford it at the moment anyway.)
Thanks very much for your time and your suggestions harryb2448.
Regards,
Nigel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
If I may give you a advice do not use a lens cleaner .
Use compressed air instead .
If you are going to buy a external DVR buy one with its own power supply .
And be sure that it also can read a double layer DVD .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.