Which 21.5" iMac to purchase?

Reaction score
I've had an eMac 700Mhz PowerPC G4, OSX 10.2.8 for about 9 years (yes, it's old) and due to grindingly slow Internet browser issues (I can't upgrade to newer browsers) among other things I'm ready to buy a new iMac.

The 21.5" model is what I have in mind, but there are 3 versions I can find and I'm not sure which one to choose. My main use for a new computer will be Internet browsing/watching media files, burning discs with iTunes and some word processing. Nothing fancy, in other words, but I have lots of music and other files saved on two external hard drives and want to be able to upload at least some to the new machine.

Any recommendations among the 3 to buy, or warnings about issues that would cause me NOT to purchase one? Thanks!

• 21.5" iMac - 4GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive Model: MC812LL/A; Best Buy price: $1,500
  • 21.5" iMac - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive Model: MC309LL/A; Best Buy price: $1,200
  • 21.5" iMac® - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive Model: A1311; Best Buy price: $1,900

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For your needs, the $1200 iMac would suffice. You can always upgrade the memory yourself later on if you choose. Also a 500 GB hard drive should be OK for you. Keep your music and photos backed up on the external and only load what you really need on the internal hard drive.

Now, having said the above, new iMacs are destined to be released soon. How soon? Rumor has it in June. So if I were you, hold on to the eMac for another month or two and see what the new models will have to offer before you buy. And, if possible, buy from an Apple store not Best Buy.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks! I bought my current one at Comp USA...that gives you an indication of how old it is! Out of curiosity, why buy a new one at an Apple Store?

Reaction score
Bought my iMac last year at the Apple store. The Apple store staff was very nice-- allowed me to play with the various machines as I made up my mind (it was my first Mac). Once you make a purchase, they take you and your new Mac to a counter and the Genius unpacks the box, shows you how to hook up the computer, and then sets up the Mac for you--- gets your e-mail set up and allows you to play while you are there so you can get any questions answered before you get home.

I was debating between making the purchase at Best Buy or the Apple store, the machine was the same price bother places, and I could finance the Mac for 18 months at Best Buy as compared to 12 months at Apple, but I chose the Apple store because they were very knowledgable and helpful. They took good care of me and explained everything including Applecare and classes, etc. Happy I chose to purchase at the Applestore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Any of those comps will work for you, buy the most/best you can afford.

I have only recently been to an apple store and loved it. Best buy employees probably won't be as jovial as apple employees would be. Take that for what it's worth.

Let us know what you get.

Reaction score
I've had an eMac 700Mhz PowerPC G4, OSX 10.2.8 for about 9 years (yes, it's old) and due to grindingly slow Internet browser issues (I can't upgrade to newer browsers) among other things I'm ready to buy a new iMac.

The 21.5" model is what I have in mind, but there are 3 versions I can find and I'm not sure which one to choose. My main use for a new computer will be Internet browsing/watching media files, burning discs with iTunes and some word processing. Nothing fancy, in other words, but I have lots of music and other files saved on two external hard drives and want to be able to upload at least some to the new machine.

Any recommendations among the 3 to buy, or warnings about issues that would cause me NOT to purchase one? Thanks!

• 21.5" iMac - 4GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive Model: MC812LL/A; Best Buy price: $1,500
  • 21.5" iMac - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive Model: MC309LL/A; Best Buy price: $1,200
  • 21.5" iMac® - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive Model: A1311; Best Buy price: $1,900

What the purpose you need this? If for general purpose then you can go for first one. And for some specific purpose and faster processing you can go for last.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.