just bought an Macbook pro

Reaction score
I am just converting to mac and I am using my friends pc to post I have an Epson wireless printer and a us robotics usb 56k moldom and I am unable to get any thing external to work. I am a real dummy on this can anyone please help. I have tried everything re installed all software 4 times no help. I have checked everything I can, someone please help :(

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Most of this I am going to leave to others (especially using dial-up modem for Internet).

Need to know more specifics on your equipment.

Is this iMac brand new or used and what are its specs?
Also, OS X version ( Snow Leopard, Lion etc)
Epson model number
Same for modem

Do you have a wireless router (specs if so)?

One thing I would suggest on the Epson wireless printer is to start off by doing a direct connection to your iMac (USB or Ethernet) to configure it, and then seeing if it will find your printer

Also, just to make certain, do you have Airport turned on on your iMac?
If not it won't see any wireless device

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So, a few questions...

1. Do you have an iMac or a MacBook Pro? There is no "iMac Pro". Was it new when you bought it, or was it used?

2. What model is the Epson Wireless Printer?

3. Are you sure you have a US Robotics 56K modem? I ask this question for a number of reasons. For one, US Robotics was big in the days before broadband (high speed internet) was ubiquitous. If you have a wireless printer, chances are you're not using dial-up for an Internet connection - but that could very well be. Additionally, many modems used serial connections (9-pin D-shaped connector), although some of the later models did use USB. I'm curious as to how this physically connects to your computer. If we could get the specific model and some more detail about how you use it, that would be appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am just converting to mac and I am using my friends pc to post I have an Epson wireless printer and a us robotics usb 56k moldom and I am unable to get any thing external to work. I am a real dummy on this can anyone please help. I have tried everything re installed all software 4 times no help. I have checked everything I can, someone please help :(

First of all...let me mention...you didn't just buy an "iMac Pro". There is no such thing...although who knows...Apple may come out with an "iMac Pro" in the future.;)

So let me get this straight...you have a U.S. Robotics USB 56k modem...which means that you are trying to connect to the internet via a phone line & dial-up modem...versus a high-speed internet connection (DSL or cable modem).

Is this correct?

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Must have got his problem solved . . . or decided it wasn't that important after all. :p

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Must have got his problem solved . . . or decided it wasn't that important after all. :p

Or he was just putting us on.... when I read the 56K "moldum" part, I had to wonder...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Or he was just putting us on.... when I read the 56K "moldum" part, I had to wonder...

Yes...that was interesting! At least it wasn't a 2400 (2.4k) baud "moldom".;)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would think that a 56K modem would be pretty "moldy" by now. ;)

Strange to remember it wasn't all that long ago (or least it seems like it) that 56K was fast.
Of course, my CompuAdd PC had a 10MHz Turbo Mode too . . . . . :D :p

OP
T
Reaction score
No please I have very limited access to the internet this is all real and the pc is new it is a macbook pro and the printer is a ebson stylus nx430 and a yes I know us robotics usr5637 56 k modem my frind said he will watch the post for me. the printer will work via usb but not wireless. This is the real deal no joke please help

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No please I have very limited access to the internet this is all real and the pc is new it is a macbook pro and the printer is a ebson stylus nx430 and a yes I know us robotics usr5637 56 k modem my frind said he will watch the post for me. the printer will work via usb but not wireless. This is the real deal no joke please help

If you want us to help, then you need to help us.

See my first post in this thread and please provide complete details on your specifications as it is almost impossible to troubleshoot or provide guidance without knowing exactly what you have.

Reaction score
A brand new Macbook Pro with a dialup modem? I have a brand new MB Pro and the only port even resembling a dialup modem port is the Ethernet port (8 pins, definitely not a 2-pin dialup modem port). What did you use to identify the specific modem in the machine?

The wireless printer will only work wirelessly when connected to a wireless network using 802.11x protocol. If you're trying to use dialup you would still require an internal (in home) network for the wireless printer and other wireless devices. Not sure at all how you would connect those to the incoming dialup connection since they normally require broadband, but it may be something I'm just unaware of due to lack of recent experience with dialup.

OP
T
Reaction score
hello the os is 10.7 the pc finds the modem but never connects the software has been removed many times and reinstalled. Yes there is no broadband where he lives he is on dial up ((usr5637)) USR it is usb . So the printer will need a wireless network or router, the airport wouldn't work? The printer is an ebson stylus nx430.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What software you installing for the Modem? When I used a Modem like yours on my iMac i just plugged it into the USB port and it showed up. Then went to System Preferences and Network then PPPoE and set up my connection to the internet.

What exactly are you doing on your end?

OP
T
Reaction score
the modem shows up but it never open port up to connect to internet it came with system disk 10.5 or higher

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.