correct adobe flash player version for mac

Reaction score
Hi,
I purchased a refurbished 2010 macbook pro, OS X 10.6.8.
I use firefox browser.
It constantly prompts me to download adobe flash player, which never works.
I have done google searches on the problem, downloaded several suggested versions to correct this, still won't play videos?
Help! Thank you kindly in advance!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The correct version of Adobe Flash is available here:

Adobe - Install Adobe Flash Player

But do note that there is a fake version that distributes a trojan (malware) that you may have inadvertently downloaded. If that's true, you'll want to follow manual removal instructions here:

Threat Description: Trojan:BASH/QHost.WB

Apple has issued an update for their built-in malware protection that is supposed to correct this issue, but if your machine has been compromised, it may not have received the update.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To complement cwa's post, you can go to this page here to see what version you have installed. The most current version of Flash for each platform is listed below so you should be able to figure out whether or not you do in fact have the most current version.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hello CWA 107, vansmith,
Thanks a million for taking the time!
BTW guys, I have lived in Belize for years now, no mac stores, techs here, bought this one in England and had friend carry it in, I have had 3 macs here now, but totally self-taught.
CWA, Tried your site, chose version for mac, foxfire, still get prompts like I never downloaded anything?
Have 5 different versions of Adobe Flash player downloaded now, none seem to do the trick.
Is there perhaps a step I missed? Sometimes I have to drag stuff to apps, but no prompt or icon appeared?
Van, Opened link you sent.
Please forgive me, mac-ignorant, haven't a clue how to proceed?
I am totally unfamiliar with the below terminology or execution thereof........

Latest Threats
Submit Samples (SAS)
Free Tools
Terminology

Where You Are

Labs
Threats
Virus and threat descriptions
Trojan:BASH/QHost.WB

Trojan:BASH/QHost.WB

Name : Trojan:BASH/QHost.WB
Detection Names : BASH/QHost.WB
QHost
QHost.WB
Category: Malware
Type: Trojan
Platform: BASH
Summary
Trojan:BASH/QHost.WB hijacks web traffic by modifying the hosts file.
Disinfection

Manually correcting the hosts file

1. Open terminal and change directory to */private/etc/*

$cd /private/etc

2. Use any editor tool you prefer and edit the *hosts* file. Note: You need root privilege to do this.

$sudo vim hosts

You should see something similar to the following:

91.224.160.26 google.com
91.224.160.26 google.ae
91.224.160.26 google.as

[truncated for brevity]

3. Remove all the entries contain *91.224.160.26* from the hosts file.

hereof......

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When you opened the link I provided, what version of Flash did it say you were using?

OP
B
Reaction score
Good question, haven't a clue?
Even on this forum page, I get a yellow bar at top with script.........
"Additional plug-ins are required to display all the media on this page" (install missing plug-ins), never works.
I have no trouble communicating with you guys or other pages/sites when i get this prompt, just no videos?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This might be a stupid question but have you restarted the browser (and by this I mean quit the browser, not just close the window)? Plug-ins will only work once a browser is re-opened. The flash installer should have forced you to do this but anything is possible.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi van.
There are no stupid questions! I am pretty mac-ignorant, but yes, unfortunately, quit firefox, restarted entire computer, all 5 downloads, still no youtube, etc.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait... So you downloaded it, but did you open the downloaded file and run the installer?

OP
B
Reaction score
That may be it?
No prompts to do so?
So...........Please bear with my ignorant self!
If I go to file, open, downloads, highlight any of the 5 adobe flash versions I have collected, then what do I do?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That may be it?
No prompts to do so?

You need to be "flexible". Some items that you download from the internet will:

- automatically install after downloading.
- "self-launch"...and give you a prompt to proceed with the install.
- be an installer that you need to double-click on to begin the install process

So...........Please bear with my ignorant self!
If I go to file, open, downloads, highlight any of the 5 adobe flash versions I have collected, then what do I do?

Go to your downloads folder...and double-click on any of the flash player installers you downloaded...and then proceed with the install.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi pig 003,
As it happens, I remember trying this several times now, it just tells me the file already exists, do I want to replace it, tried that too?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Flash installer won't ask you to replace any files. Are you running the downloaded installer?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi pig 003,
As it happens, I remember trying this several times now, it just tells me the file already exists, do I want to replace it, tried that too?

Since you mentioned doing this already...maybe you already "opened" the installer...and it's sitting on your desktop waiting to be launched.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Dragged installer into app dock, when I click on it, same old story, this file exists already, do you want to replace it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dragged installer into app dock, when I click on it, same old story, this file exists already, do you want to replace it?

Let me take you through this from start to finish, because something just isn't connecting here:

1. Download the Flash Player distribution file from Adobe. It should be called "install_flash_player_osx.dmg"

2. A DMG file is kind of like a virtual disk. That is, when you double-click it, it's like inserting a disc into your CD-ROM drive. So, double-click on it and you should see a new disk on your desktop. The disk should have a red icon and it should be labeled "Flash Player".

3. Double-click the "Flash Player" icon on your desktop, it will open the disc and show you one icon "Install Adobe Flash Player".

4. Double-click "Install Adobe Flash Player" and it should kick off the installation process. Note that it may warn you that "Install Adobe Flash Player is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it". If so, be sure to click "Open".

5. Now the installer officially starts - it should look like this:

00000298.png

6. Check the box marked "I have read and agree to the terms of the Flash Player License Agreement" and then click "INSTALL".

7. Next you should see a prompt that says "Install Adobe Flash Player wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this". Enter your account password (which you chose when you set the computer up originally) and then click "OK".

8. If your web browser is open during the install, you'll get a prompt that says "Please close the following application(s) to continue" and it will likely list Firefox. Choose "Force Close All" - you will again be prompted for your account password, enter it and and then choose "RETRY".

9. Now the installation should complete. Once it does, you should eject the "Install Flash Player" virtual disc on your desktop by dragging it to the trash. When this is done, you should be able to use Flash to your heart's content.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" late 2011, Lion 10.7.4
Thank you very much to cwa107 for these very clear and precise instructions. I am very new to Mac and was struggling to update Adobe Flash. Now done and dusted!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just installed the latest Flashplayer again. I saw in my Downloads folder that I have three of these flash player downloads - 2nd March, 2nd May and 1st June. The 1st June must be my latest update. I'm assuming that I should drag the earlier two to trash and keep only the latest one so that I will have the uninstaller when I need it again? Would be grateful for clarification. Many thanks for help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can trash the old installers once you are done with them. You don't really need to keep the newest one around either but you're more than welcome to do so if you choose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks for quick response. In that case, I'll trash them all. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.