Which is better: Entourage or AppleMail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G
Im setting up my various email accounts and can't decide what to work with. I like the look and simplicity of AppleMail, but I can't get it to work with my school email. Entourage is working with my school email okay, but the setup in Applemail won't work :(

Which do you like better?

Anyone willing to help me get my school email working with AppleMail? Im trying to use with IMAP, POP3 or Exchange. None will work! I set up everything identical to Entourage. What gives?

B

badmojo

I would use Apple Mail if you aren't using any of the other features of Entourage. I personally use Entourage because I like the integrated calendar functions, the GUI, and the ability to assign categories to the names in my database (900+).

If you need help setting up Mail, list some specifics of what you're having problems with and we'll give it a shot.

OP
solarith
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
badmojo said:
I would use Apple Mail if you aren't using any of the other features of Entourage. I personally use Entourage because I like the integrated calendar functions, the GUI, and the ability to assign categories to the names in my database (900+).

If you need help setting up Mail, list some specifics of what you're having problems with and we'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the reply. I just opened Apple Mail and my school email is now miraculously working (I didn't touch anything--weird).

One annoyance: I use gmail for my main email and half the time I'm using it from public computers. One annoyance is that Apple Mail downloads my Gmail sent emails (when they're sent from the site) into the Inbox folder. Is there any way to make this stop?

Reaction score
solarith said:
One annoyance: I use gmail for my main email and half the time I'm using it from public computers. One annoyance is that Apple Mail downloads my Gmail sent emails (when they're sent from the site) into the Inbox folder. Is there any way to make this stop?

It did that for me too, never did find a way around it, but its very annoying.

L

lil

I personally prefer using Mail vs. entourage, I just want some to organise my mails easily and send emails, Mail does this. I don't need the extra bells and whistless Entourage has so for me, using it would be like cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.

Vicky

OP
solarith
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lil said:
I personally prefer using Mail vs. entourage, I just want some to organise my mails easily and send emails, Mail does this. I don't need the extra bells and whistless Entourage has so for me, using it would be like cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.

Vicky

i agree. it's bloated for just simple personal use. i can understand why someone might want it for a business though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
solarith said:
Thanks for the reply. I just opened Apple Mail and my school email is now miraculously working (I didn't touch anything--weird).

Yes there is. POP accounts are setup like this by default. In your account preferences (in Mail) select the advanced tab and make sure the 3rd checkbox is unchecked.

Then log into Gmail.com In the upper right corner clck the Settings link, then the Forwarding and Pop link. Under POP Download: make sure number 2 is set to "keep Gmail's copy in the inbox."

Save you Changes!!!!
Thats it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For everything I do with Email, I prefer Mail to either Outlook or Entourage. It's a lot cleaner and so easy to use or set up. IMAP support works perfectally also. Unless you really need the features of Entourage, I would say stick with mail.

Thanks Ironmac for that Tip. I had done that a long time ago when gmail first came out with POP but forgot all about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
just another option: look at thunderbird, its a free email utility from mozilla, and i think its great

R

rollatwork

I have a GMail related issue in that I have a Mac desktop for home use and a PB at the office.

I have both Apple Mail clients configured to use my GMail accounts.

However, my annoyance is that depending on which computer I'm using if I download the mail from GMail, it is somehow flagged on GMail, and the same message(s) will not be downloaded the next time I use Apple Mail on the other computer.

Is there a workaround for this? Or should I simply not be downloading my GMail on multiple machines?

Cheers,
R.

PS - I do this with another POP mail account I use from my ISP. I'm able to retrieve the same messages on both machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I stick with Apple Mail... I have to deal with large CSV database files on a daily basis... I have found that Entourage just can't seem to render that much text without dragging down my machine... especially when cutting and pasting into Textedit. Mail does it just fine... The Apple Mail GUI just seems cleaner and much more responsive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
rollatwork said:
I have a GMail related issue in that I have a Mac desktop for home use and a PB at the office.

I have both Apple Mail clients configured to use my GMail accounts.

However, my annoyance is that depending on which computer I'm using if I download the mail from GMail, it is somehow flagged on GMail, and the same message(s) will not be downloaded the next time I use Apple Mail on the other computer.

Is there a workaround for this? Or should I simply not be downloading my GMail on multiple machines?

Cheers,
R.

PS - I do this with another POP mail account I use from my ISP. I'm able to retrieve the same messages on both machines.

Check out my previous post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.