iMac with OS Tiger shuts off after boot up

Reaction score
Good morning.

I have an iMac G5 running Tiger OS. The past couple days, the computer would just power down several times a day. Not a power down but just plain turn off. Now it's doing it anywhere from 30 sec. to at the most 5 minutes. It boots up to desktop fine. I have tried. zapping the PRAM, starting in safe mode, throwing away the Cache file, open up the cover and blowing out the fan area of dust, bypassed the UPS unit and power strips, trying two different outlets in other parts of the house and making sure the power cord is seated tightly and not damaged. All have not helped. Suggestions Please. Thank you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It sounds like it's overheating. I'd be willing to bet that one or more of the fans has failed. You may be able to run the Apple Hardware Test to verify:

The Apple Hardware Test

Be sure to follow the instructions in the PPC section.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To add to what "cwa107" suggested. If your iMac G5 is overheating...you may need to take it apart & clean it (they can get pretty "fuzzy/dirty" inside).

ifixit.com has disassembly procedures.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
iMac G5? Bad capacitors or failing power supply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.