Apple Time Capsule??

Reaction score
Hi

I am debating on getting a 2TB Apple Time Capsule, for my iMac but I'm really not sure on whether to buy one or not.
I have read so many bad reviews about it.
All I want it for is to Backup all my files on my iMac. And create more space and delete loads of photos and music on my internal hard drive.
What do other people think of the Time Capsule, is it worth buying. Or is it really that bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 2.5GHz i5, 4GB, 1TB
Hi

I am debating on getting a 2TB Apple Time Capsule, for my iMac but I'm really not sure on whether to buy one or not.
All I want it for is to Backup all my files on my iMac. And create more space and delete loads of photos and music on my internal hard drive.
What do other people think of the Time Capsule, is it worth buying. Or is it really that bad.

Hey,

In my honest opinion, as much as i love all Apple products, I think £249 for an external hard drive (Which is all it really is) is extortionate! Of course you have the beauty of hooking it up to your wireless network, but if it's just you using it, then it may be a bit pricey!

However, if you do wish to use it on your home network, I'd recommend taking a look at a few cheaper options... for example. Western Digital do a 3TB External hard drive with networking capabilities for about £100 cheaper: Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Western Digital My Book for Mac: WDBAAG0030HCH-EESN (WDBAAG0030HCH-EESN)

The bottom line is:

If you want an external drive just for you, explore the market for drives with the same capacity or more. Chances are you'll find an external hard drive with 2 - 3TB for around £90 - £130!

If you do want the networking capabilities, I wouldn't go straight for Apples time capsule. Most external hard drives (that work on Mac) work with TimeMachine.

Hope this helps!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi

Have you considered an ordinary external hard drive? The Time Capsule is essentially a wireless router with built in network-attached storage. You can certainly get network-attached storage (NAS) features in other products for a much better price, particularly if you don't need the wireless router capabilities of the TC.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went ahead and merged your two threads on the same subject and deleted the extraneous posts. Please do not cross-post. Only one post is needed per topic. Thanks.

OP
M
Reaction score
I was just wondering, what else can you do with the Time Capsule, it says you can hook it up to a wireless network, what does this mean. What else can I get out of it. Im not very computer literate when it comes to hardware etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 2.5GHz i5, 4GB, 1TB
The networking feature will allow you to add the external hard drive to your current wireless network and will allow you to back up your files wirelessly along with other people on your network being able to back files up or take files from the hard drive.

Like I said though, if you're the only person using the hard drive or you're only going to allow others to use it every so often, you're probably better off just getting yourself a standard external hard drive for a fraction of the price of a time capsule.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was just wondering, what else can you do with the Time Capsule, it says you can hook it up to a wireless network, what does this mean. What else can I get out of it. Im not very computer literate when it comes to hardware etc.

It's actually a wireless router in and of itself. So, if you don't already have a wireless router, it can serve that purpose (in other words, provide a wireless connection).

Reaction score
Some of these services may be being used for hacking my Time Capsule?

Hi,

I was scanning services from a connected PC on my network but not directely in my time capsule and I picked these services below:

NetBIOS Session Services
SMB directy over IP
AFP over TCP
Apple Airport WAP Administration
SecureNet Pro Sensor https management server or apple airport admin

My question is: Some of these services may be being used for hacking my Time Capsule?

DRAW.PNG

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.