MS Word for Mac spellcheck problem

Reaction score
Hello

I run an iMac currently running Mac OS X 10.6.8, which I bought (big mistake, everything now runs much more slowly) as a prelude to buying Lion (I didn't bother, having read so many lousy reviews).

I also run MS Word for Mac 12.3.1 on which - today - spellcheck seems to have stopped working. I can enter any garbage I like in a doc, spellcheck will ignore it totally. I have looked at my 'spelling and grammar' preferences and the following boxes are ticked (checked):

• Check spelling as you type
  • Always suggest corrections
  • Ignore words in UPPERCASE
  • Ignore words with numbers
  • Ignore internet and file addresses

Can anyone suggest a fix? I tried a re-boot to see if it was a temporary glitch but that did not result in any change.

Thanks.

[Later edit: On further investigation the problem seems to be limited to a single document. On the one hand that's good to know, on the other hand the document in question is a university essay! I will log further developments as they happen.]

Reaction score
Did you work this one out?

I had the same problem - also with a single doc.... The issue occurs when you copy/paste stuff from another doc that has different prefs set.

Go the the doc, highlight all, go to tools / language and de-select 'do not check for spelling or grammar' (mine was neither blank, nor checked, it had a - in the box meaning the preferences were out of synch)

I had previously sent my doc to our IT guys (who run PCs) and the same doc worked fine on theirs, so it does appear to be a mac specific issue

wired

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Rather than finding the solution myself, the problem simply hasn't occurred since and I forgot about it. I'll take a note of your advice. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.