New Powerbook Grinding Noise

Z

zer0cach3

I have had the new 15" 1.67 ghz hi-res since it was released a couple months ago, and the past two days there are random grinding noises that last about 10 seconds coming from the back left corner(near the screen). I dont think the HD is back there but thats sort of what it sounds like. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I'm getting the same noise on the same machine.

I have no idea what it is...

OP
Z

zer0cach3

i have a 3 year warranty that covers everything and will replace the whole system for free, they will even replace the screen up too 2 times if scratched. So, I was just wondering, i have a backup of my system. Would like to know though.

OP
M

meatychi

Sounds like the fan to me too! Even on my older MAC I was shocked at first at how noisy it was! I was expecting a super silent machine but unfortunately not!

Have they managed to cool the base down on the new one?

OP
Z

zer0cach3

meatychi said:
Sounds like the fan to me too! Even on my older MAC I was shocked at first at how noisy it was! I was expecting a super silent machine but unfortunately not!

Have they managed to cool the base down on the new one?

Sorry, for bringing this back. but, i noticed other people said they have the same problem. Any noise is not proper, and should be sent back to Apple to be fixed/replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
I have the same machine. I sometimes get that noise but for me it's on for way more than 10 seconds and when I give it a tap it's still there. I thought that it might be the fan too but as this is my 1st mac I'm not really all that sure.

Do you know whats causing the noise to come on because if not if you send it back to Apple or take it to be fixed it might not come on and they won't be able to do anything. I was going to take mine into the Apple shop near me but I can't get the noise to come on when I want it to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I don't have anything like that, but I have a noise that comes from the battery compartment area that acts up whenever I'm scrolling in a window, and gets VERY noticeable when I'm resizing a window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
Meyvn said:
I don't have anything like that, but I have a noise that comes from the battery compartment area that acts up whenever I'm scrolling in a window, and gets VERY noticeable when I'm resizing a window.

shoot. i get that too. i wondered what the heck it is....

...what the heck is it?
it's definitely not the hdd or a fan... at first i thought i was only when i used firefox.. but i notice it with safari and any other window as well... when scrolling or resizing.

i hope this isn't too much of a hijack... like the one in passenger 57.

OP
Z

zer0cach3

hojkoff_101 said:
I have the same machine. I sometimes get that noise but for me it's on for way more than 10 seconds and when I give it a tap it's still there. I thought that it might be the fan too but as this is my 1st mac I'm not really all that sure.

Do you know whats causing the noise to come on because if not if you send it back to Apple or take it to be fixed it might not come on and they won't be able to do anything. I was going to take mine into the Apple shop near me but I can't get the noise to come on when I want it to.

If you read my post there is a problem with one of the boards send it back to apple, they will fix it for free.
Yes, it is the fan. No, it should not be doing that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
Mine is more of a constant clicking is that what you guys are talking about? It is VERY constant and VERY noticable when the room is silent.

I brought it into a service center and they said right away it wasn't the hard drive... so I guess from what you guys are saying it is from the fan?

What do you mean by problem with one of the boards? I am out of Apple care on my 1.5 GHZ I got over a year ago.. is it a defect issue?

OP
Z

zer0cach3

LastZion said:
Mine is more of a constant clicking is that what you guys are talking about? It is VERY constant and VERY noticable when the room is silent.

I brought it into a service center and they said right away it wasn't the hard drive... so I guess from what you guys are saying it is from the fan?

What do you mean by problem with one of the boards? I am out of Apple care on my 1.5 GHZ I got over a year ago.. is it a defect issue?

Yes, its a defect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
zer0cach3 said:
Yes, its a defect.

Its a defect as in covered by Apple no matter what? Or only if you are still under apple care?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I just got mine fixed from a service center. The part replaced was the Heatsink, with blowers. No more clicking for me! Finally!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.