Copy and Paste

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
This sums it up nicely. It took a lot of trial and errors for me to find all this out the hard way. I presume there is somewhere a proper source for all this wisdom to acquire without having to go through all this work.

If there is, I don't know where to find it. When I got my first Mac, a 68030, there was a little tutorial that helped you learn what the mouse did and, more importantly, how to make it do it. These days, I think that kind of thing is assumed knowledge, and for those who've grown up with computers, it's a safe assumption.

OP
jott
Reaction score
If there is, I don't know where to find it. When I got my first Mac, a 68030, there was a little tutorial that helped you learn what the mouse did and, more importantly, how to make it do it. These days, I think that kind of thing is assumed knowledge, and for those who've grown up with computers, it's a safe assumption.

Assumed knowledge does not sell computers. Ease of use, available help tutorials, intuitive function execution, avoidance of multi ways to acomplish tasks, etc will boost sales. It is fortunate that the Mac community has a this Forum. However, even here it takes some head scratching to get the hang of using it.
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
There really isn't too much of a difference between the way a mouse works on a Mac and how it works on Windows. The only real difference is that you have to enable right-clicking, which could be made clearer.

But the Apple site has many helpful tutorials.

Here are some video tutorials which are helpful for those who learn visually:

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

And some text ones that go into a bit more detail:

Apple - Support - Mac 101

And even tutorials for those coming from Windows:

Apple - Support - Switch 101

A simple Google search for "Mac tutorial" brought these right up.

The only thing that should be assumed when switching is that it's a different operating system that will take time to learn, same as if you were switching from Windows to Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,
Quote from jott
This sums it up nicely. It took a lot of trial and errors for me to find all this out the hard way. I presume there is somewhere a proper source for all this wisdom to acquire without having to go through all this work.

Just a thought why not try Mac 101 Apple - Support - Mac 101
Or the in store one to one lessons Apple Retail Store - One to One

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Assumed knowledge does not sell computers. Ease of use, available help tutorials, intuitive function execution, avoidance of multi ways to acomplish tasks, etc will boost sales.

Well, there you go: the links above should help. I was commenting on the fact that such instructions do not come with the computer when purchased from a retail outlet, and certainly not if purchased from a reseller. Although I'm not trying to sell computers, I would think that multiple ways to accomplish a task would be a plus.

OP
jott
Reaction score
Well, there you go: the links above should help. I was commenting on the fact that such instructions do not come with the computer when purchased from a retail outlet, and certainly not if purchased from a reseller. Although I'm not trying to sell computers, I would think that multiple ways to accomplish a task would be a plus.
I still think it is the obligation of Apple to supply a comprehensive manual that describes all the functions and their implementations. Not everyone has the time, knowledge, energy, etc, to research the internet for every variation of function usage, Multiple ways to accomplish a task are justified when in support of different input devices. They become a burden to memory when only provided to add variety, But no doubt, they are a plus for the young gaming generation, who like to have as many ways available to get a kill. For us old foggies, they are more a distraction and hindrance than an asset.
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I still think it is the obligation of Apple to supply a comprehensive manual that describes all the functions and their implementations. Not everyone has the time, knowledge, energy, etc, to research the internet for every variation of function usage, Multiple ways to accomplish a task are justified when in support of different input devices. They become a burden to memory when only provided to add variety, But no doubt, they are a plus for the young gaming generation, who like to have as many ways available to get a kill. For us old foggies, they are more a distraction and hindrance than an asset.
John

John,
It's just right and left click with some nuances involved.... different strokes for different folks.
I can't remember Apple producing any huge manual of any note for years.
If they did they would have to keep issuing addendums and reprinting it all the time for example there were over 250 new features in the Lion upgrade

Apple - OS X Lion - Over 250 new features. Read about all of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
John

There are other resources available, both free and at additional cost, both from Apple and from other companies. In addition to the links above, Apple offers both free and added-cost training sessions at its stores.

It's true that Apple doesn't offer much "in the box." There's even a publishing company that puts out "the missing manual"; it's supposed to be pretty good. Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual - O'Reilly Media

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
There isn't much research involved. Just go to Apple's website, where there is about as much information as you could fit into a manual. It's as simple as typing in Apple. In fact I prefer the online video tutorials because it's easier to learn something by watching. The links I provided came from a simple Google search for "Mac tutorial".

Windows also provides multiple ways of doing the same things. I don't think Microsoft includes a comprehensive manual either. But I have to say it seems Apple gives you a lot of resources right up front, like their One to One sessions and 90 days of free phone support.

Did you flip through the user guide that came with your Mac? It has pretty much everything you need to get started and points you in the direction of extra support on their website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still think it is the obligation of Apple to supply a comprehensive manual that describes all the functions and their implementations.
I'm sure you're not alone on that score. But, as long as Apple continues to be the most valuable company on the planet, I don't think they're going to change that policy.

Multiple ways to accomplish a task are justified when in support of different input devices. They become a burden to memory when only provided to add variety, ...they are more a distraction and hindrance than an asset.
Well, I have to disagree with almost all of that, from Apple's perspective. I certainly understand that from your point of view, this can make things more difficult. Sorry. I think Apple has to consider its entire customer base. I believe the purpose in providing multiple ways to do the same thing is in acknowledgement of the fact that they sell to millions of people, and some might prefer one way, while others prefer a different way. Bottom line: users only have to learn one way to do a task, and if it works for you, stick with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac I7 32Gig, Ipad2, 4 Iphones and an Apple TV V3
As a long time windows user I am used to copy and paste files. There is no direct equivalent in OSX Lion as far as I know (which sadly to say is not very far).
A work around is first to duplicate the file and then drag the duplicated file to the desired directory and then finally rename it to the original name.
Question: Is there a better way ????
John

Smple

Two finger tap on your trackpad and the copy/cut/paste menu pops up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.