Powermac G5 - is the logic board dead?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I've spent the last 3 days or so trying to work out whats wrong with the powermac. First, the history:

I bought this off ebay for £40, the seller claimed it as "working but no HDD" - at the time, I wasn't fussed either way - I'll be honest and say I was planning to hackintosh it (I have a macbook, just wanted something cheaper for at home to do uni assignments on) - but when I got it I wanted to see how it ran anyway. I had a spare HDD so stuck it in, turned it on and just got a grey screen, with a flashing "?" in a folder.

Assumed it was from the lack of OS, so I played around a bit. I couldn't get the disk drive to open, so I removed it and tried the paper clip trick to see if it was jammed - it wasn't, so I returned it to its place. Still getting the same error (was testing after every step, I was kind of expecting a BIOS of some kind but guess not :p)

I then decided to try another hard drive which already had Leopard on, just to see if it'd recognise the fact it was there. From hereon out, the video wouldn't display at all, my monitor (Compaq Q2022a) wont even detect its there. I tried going back to the old HDD, no HDD, everything I could think of.

Another thing I noticed though, before I'd just press the power button and it'd turn off again (just like a PC in BIOS), but now I had to hold it for a few seconds to turn it off.

I've tried everything I could find on the net; resetting PRAM, resetting PMU, starting with no keyboard plugged in... literally everything I could find, no results.

So, does anyone have any tips of what might be wrong with it? Is the logic board dead? or have I just missed something?

Oh, and there are no LED's lit up on the Logic Board, but the power LED (above the button) flashes every few seconds or so - not sure if thats normal or not.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought this off ebay for £40, the seller claimed it as "working but no HDD" - at the time, I wasn't fussed either way - I'll be honest and say I was planning to hackintosh it (I have a macbook, just wanted something cheaper for at home to do uni assignments on)

We don't want to hear or discuss this!:(

- but when I got it I wanted to see how it ran anyway. I had a spare HDD so stuck it in, turned it on and just got a grey screen, with a flashing "?" in a folder.

Assumed it was from the lack of OS, so I played around a bit.

This is correct...there was no OS on the HD to boot from.

I couldn't get the disk drive to open, so I removed it and tried the paper clip trick to see if it was jammed - it wasn't, so I returned it to its place.

You should have posted earlier...we could have helped with this. Just hold the mouse button down when booting...or press the key above the "Delete" key with the triangle on it.

Still getting the same error (was testing after every step, I was kind of expecting a BIOS of some kind but guess not :p)

Not exactly sure what error you're talking about here. Also, Mac's don't have BIOS.

I then decided to try another hard drive which already had Leopard on, just to see if it'd recognise the fact it was there.

Did this work.;) Sometimes swapping HD's like this doesn't always work. What computer (Mac model) did this HD come from?

From hereon out, the video wouldn't display at all, my monitor (Compaq Q2022a) wont even detect its there.

What ports does the PM G5's video card have? Did you have any "port" issues using your monitor (adapters or cables)?

Another thing I noticed though, before I'd just press the power button and it'd turn off again (just like a PC in BIOS), but now I had to hold it for a few seconds to turn it off.

Not sure this means anything.

I've tried everything I could find on the net; resetting PRAM, resetting PMU, starting with no keyboard plugged in... literally everything I could find, no results.

Good ideas. Did you try resetting the SMU (maybe that was the same as the PMU)?:

How to reset the SMU on a Power Mac G5 (Late 2004) or Power Mac G5 (Late 2005)

So, does anyone have any tips of what might be wrong with it? Is the logic board dead? or have I just missed something?

Oh, and there are no LED's lit up on the Logic Board, but the power LED (above the button) flashes every few seconds or so - not sure if thats normal or not.

Take a look at this:

About the Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) diagnostic LEDs

...the blinking light near the power button is most likely due to ram issues. I'm guessing this computer either has bad ram or incompatible ram installed into it.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. If none of this helps...return it to the e-Bay seller.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Whenever one sees a computer with no HDD installed, you can bet it is at the ned of its life. See if you can get your money back.

OP
F
Reaction score
We don't want to hear or discuss this!:(
Yeah I know :p Just thought a shot of honesty was good. I am a mac user anyway, just can't fully fund another machine. I would rather get this working though, which is why I went a few £ higher on the auction than I was planning to - I know it'd run better as a full mac etc. so for the sake of discussion, I'd rather it be a 100% mac

You should have posted earlier...we could have helped with this. Just hold the mouse button down when booting...or press the key above the "Delete" key with the triangle on it.
At that point I was still following various troubleshooting guides

Not exactly sure what error you're talking about here. Also, Mac's don't have BIOS.
[/QUOTE]

Error being the ? in a folder icon. As for BIOS I know they don't have that exactly, but I was expecting something remotely similar, a sort of "start-up setup area which always shows"

Did this work.;) Sometimes swapping HD's like this doesn't always work. What computer (Mac model) did this HD come from?
[/QUOTE]
Naa it didn't. The drive was actually from an old macbook, it was a long shot but worth a try to see if anything different happened.

What ports does the PM G5's video card have? Did you have any "port" issues using your monitor (adapters or cables)?
[/QUOTE]
Just two ports, a DVI one and one very similar but a little bigger. What do you mean by port issues?

Good ideas. Did you try resetting the SMU (maybe that was the same as the PMU)?:
How to reset the SMU on a Power Mac G5 (Late 2004) or Power Mac G5 (Late 2005)
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I actually looked at that guide when I was troubleshooting. I found the PMU button where the SMU one was in that picture - a quick google told me it was roughly the same thing...

Take a look at this:

About the Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) diagnostic LEDs

...the blinking light near the power button is most likely due to ram issues. I'm guessing this computer either has bad ram or incompatible ram installed into it.
[/QUOTE]

OK, I'll play around with the RAM. there's 4 sticks so if some is faulty, hopefully some of it works? Although, the light just flashes on every 4 seconds or so infinitely.

OP
F
Reaction score
OK the quotes went a bit messed up in that message... but you get the idea.

Anyway, exact same thing just happened to my Win7 desktop, and my macbook won't connect wirelessly again! Computers just hate me this weekend... probably something to do with having 3 presentations due in on tues and weds for university. Plugged the ethernet cable into my macbook for now :p

Anyway, Playing around with the RAM made no difference. When troubleshooting my desktop (Got BSOD, then its doing the same as this, powers on but no display) the equivalent of the PMU/SMU option has to be done for 10 seconds... would holding the PMU button down on the MB for 10 seconds instead of just pressing it make any difference? (NB: Didn't fix the desktop, but thats under warranty so I'll be sending it back..)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyway, exact same thing just happened to my Win7 desktop, and my macbook won't connect wirelessly again! Computers just hate me this weekend... probably something to do with having 3 presentations due in on tues and weds for university. Plugged the ethernet cable into my macbook for now :p

Three thoughts:

1. When you buy a used Powermac G5 off e-Bay with no HD for £40...you've got to at least realize the potential for problems. So I wouldn't say that this computer should be grouped with the other computers as part of your "bad luck" just before having a bunch of university presentations due.;)

2. If you're having problems with your Windows 7 computer...not sure what problem you're talking about. I don't think that you mentioned a problem with your Windows desktop (maybe head over to a Windows forum for that)!;) lol

3. If you're having connectivity issues with your MacBook...the problem could be with your router settings...not the MacBook.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Three thoughts:

1. When you buy a used Powermac G5 off e-Bay with no HD for £40...you've got to at least realize the potential for problems. So I wouldn't say that this computer should be grouped with the other computers as part of your "bad luck" just before having a bunch of university presentations due.;)

2. If you're having problems with your Windows 7 computer...not sure what problem you're talking about. I don't think that you mentioned a problem with your Windows desktop (maybe head over to a Windows forum for that)!;) lol

3. If you're having connectivity issues with your MacBook...the problem could be with your router settings...not the MacBook.

- Nick
1. Yeah I know :p IT was originally listed as faulty but then the seller added to the end of the listing "Fully working, just needs hard drive, OS and mouse" - I doubt thats true so just seeing if there is any way at all to revive it.

2. The Win7 problem only came about today, I was just referencing it as a similar issue and whether to try holding the PMU button instead of pressing it.

3. Yeah, I have another thread for the MacBook issue in the relevant section, its not got the DNS addresses.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. Yeah I know :p IT was originally listed as faulty but then the seller added to the end of the listing "Fully working, just needs hard drive, OS and mouse" - I doubt thats true so just seeing if there is any way at all to revive it.

Seems to be a "cautious" mixed message to me (maybe you as well). It's either faulty...or "Fully -working...just needs hard drive."...it really can't be both.;)

In fact, even the statement..."Fully working...just needs hard drive"...isn't true either...since if it was FULLY WORKING...it wouldn't need anything.

I'm not picking on you;)...just being critical of some folks use of the English language...and poor logic skills. I see this sort of thing on e-Bay and Craig's List all the time!:(

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Seems to be a "cautious" mixed message to me (maybe you as well). It's either faulty...or "Fully -working...just needs hard drive."...it really can't be both.;)

In fact, even the statement..."Fully working...just needs hard drive"...isn't true either...since if it was FULLY WORKING...it wouldn't need anything.

I'm not picking on you;)...just being critical of some folks use of the English language...and poor logic skills. I see this sort of thing on e-Bay and Craig's List all the time!:(

- Nick

His use of the English language was non-existent in all fairness, to quote directly it was more like "him just need new hard drive" - I did say earlier the original reason for buying it, but I'd much rather get it as a working machine hence going £10 higher than I'd have payed for an empty case.
(In all fairness, a dud logic board can fetch £20-30, graphics a fiver and the ram a little too so it'd pay for itself even if its broken :p)

Moving back on track - does anyone thing this is saveable at all? Or is the board just dead?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyway, Playing around with the RAM made no difference.

Here's the deal regarding the blinking lights & ram. This is probably the area to place the most effort. The blinking lights/LED's are there for a reason.

You may have messed around with the ram...which is a good place to start...by pulling all the ram & testing the ram sticks & ram slots sequentially..but this may not have been enough (see explanations below).

A couple warnings:

- The ram in Powermac G5's must be installed in matching pairs. So you can never have less than two sticks of ram in there at any one time, they must be a matched pair, and they need to be in the appropriate slots. Thus...if these "rules" haven't been followed up until this point...this would be one place to start.

2. Also realize that some sellers (who may or may not know any better) may install ram into a Powermac G5 that was meant for a Windows computer...and thus MAY NOT be compatible with a Powermac G5. So...it's possible that SOME or ALL the ram is not compatible with a Powermac G5.

Just mentioning these things as possibilities...since you're getting the blinking lights & it would be a shame if this Powermac G5 is not working...simply because it contains the wrong ram or incorrectly installed ram.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Here's the deal regarding the blinking lights & ram. This is probably the area to place the most effort. The blinking lights/LED's are there for a reason.

You may have messed around with the ram...which is a good place to start...by pulling all the ram & testing the ram sticks & ram slots sequentially..but this may not have been enough (see explanations below).

A couple warnings:

- The ram in Powermac G5's must be installed in matching pairs. So you can never have less than two sticks of ram in there at any one time, they must be a matched pair, and they need to be in the appropriate slots. Thus...if these "rules" haven't been followed up until this point...this would be one place to start.

2. Also realize that some sellers (who may or may not know any better) may install ram into a Powermac G5 that was meant for a Windows computer...and thus MAY NOT be compatible with a Powermac G5. So...it's possible that SOME or ALL the ram is not compatible with a Powermac G5.

Just mentioning these things as possibilities...since you're getting the blinking lights & it would be a shame if this Powermac G5 is not working...simply because it contains the wrong ram or incorrectly installed ram.

- Nick

OK - I was aware there were "RAM rules" but not sure what they were so I shall try doing them in pairs.

How would I tell if the RAM was non-mac? Also, is there any rule about which slots to put the RAM into (ie, use any two slots, or only use the top-most slots etc?)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK - I was aware there were "RAM rules" but not sure what they were so I shall try doing them in pairs.

Being aware that there are rules...but not knowing the rules...is basically as good as not knowing that there were rules in the first place! Just teasing!;)

How would I tell if the RAM was non-mac?

This isn't easy...not sure I can help. Not all ram is label appropriately to have all the info needed to differentiate. Go to macsales.com...and go to the section for Powermac G5 ram. You'll see a bunch of details about the ram for Powermac G5's. Maybe you can compare this info with the info on the ram you have.

Also, is there any rule about which slots to put the RAM into (ie, use any two slots, or only use the top-most slots etc?)

Play the video in the link::)

Power Mac G5 Memory Installation Video at OtherWorldComputing.com

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Whilst waiting for your reply, I did some more ram tests. I looked at the original configuration (I always revert back to how it was when I got it after any tests) and if the computer was up it was like this:

Empty
Empty

GAP

Empty
Empty

So, I pulled everything out, and looked at the RAM. All are Samsung, matched except the amounts so no mixed brands or anything, so I tried this:

Empty for all top 4,

Empty
Empty

Power, flashing as usual, nothing special.

THEN, I tried this:
Empty
Empty
Empty

GAP

Empty
Empty
Empty

Pressed power, didn't expect anything and CHIME, it did the startup noise, I got my ? on the screen back!
Now, the HDD from my old macbook was the next step - made no difference. Next I'm going to try a blank HDD, and install a fresh Leopard on it if it'll let me. Anything I should know before I do this step?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whilst waiting for your reply, I did some more ram tests.

THEN, I tried this:
Empty
Empty
Empty

GAP

Empty
Empty
Empty

Pressed power, didn't expect anything and CHIME, it did the startup noise, I got my ? on the screen back!

Great. That's a step in the right direction. Now you may have to "play around", installing the rest of the ram in the correct slots & matched pairs to see what combination works. If this causes a problem...then maybe some of the other ram is bad or wrong type. But at least those two 256meg sticks are working.:)

Now, the HDD from my old macbook was the next step - made no difference. Next I'm going to try a blank HDD, and install a fresh Leopard on it if it'll let me. Anything I should know before I do this step?

Yes...That HD from your MacBook probably won't work...for a couple reasons that probably don't need to be discussed at the moment. But for starters...it could be an Intel vs. PowerPC thing (different processor families).

Yes...the best idea is to start fresh. Erase & format the HD (Mac OS Extended Journaled)...then install a fresh copy of Leopard. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that this should get you working with at least those two 256meg sticks of ram in the computer.:)

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Great. That's a step in the right direction. Now you may have to "play around", installing the rest of the ram in the correct slots & matched pairs to see what combination works. If this causes a problem...then maybe some of the other ram is bad or wrong type. But at least those two 256meg sticks are working.:)

Yes...That HD from your MacBook probably won't work...for a couple reasons that probably don't need to be discussed at the moment. But for starters...it could be an Intel vs. PowerPC thing (different processor families).

Yes...the best idea is to start fresh. Erase & format the HD (Mac OS Extended Journaled)...then install a fresh copy of Leopard. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that this should get you working with at least those two 256meg sticks of ram in the computer.:)

- Nick

Just one last thing...
It doesn't seem to respond past this point still. Holding any keys (e.g. C) at startup doesn't do anything. Could it be a faulty USB port? I've tried a few...

The keyboard is a bit iffy, but I know for example the C key does work as I've tried it on another computer. Any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just one last thing...
It doesn't seem to respond past this point still. Holding any keys (e.g. C) at startup doesn't do anything. Could it be a faulty USB port? I've tried a few...

Sounds like you're making things a bit more complex by trying to install the OS in an external 2.5" laptop drive via USB. Why not get a 3.5" SATA HD...install it internally into the Powermac G5...and do it that way?

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Sounds like you're making things a bit more complex by trying to install the OS in an external 2.5" laptop drive via USB. Why not get a 3.5" SATA HD...install it internally into the Powermac G5...and do it that way?

- Nick

Tried that, doesn't seem to make a difference... Still won't respond to keyboard in any way...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.