PowerPC/Rosetta on Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM, 256MB nVidia Graphics, 250 HDD
I've been happy since I upgraded my MacBook Pro into the Lion OSX. Until very recently, something has been bothering me: I've wanted to have a couple games for my computer that are not compatible anymore. Since the Lion is removed the support to stuff like Rosetta and PowerPC, even the games at the App Store are rendered completely useless...

I use my computer for working, for the most part... but just recently I stumbled upon some games I would like to have and now I can't.

Somebody knows a way around this without downgrading? :Oops:

Seeing right now "GTA: San Andreas" (who's only compatible with Snow Leopard or less) next to the Lion-upgrade on the App Store just makes the whole thing laughable.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No way that I know of. PPC apps will not run on Lion or any future version of OS X. About the only thing you might do is partition your hard drive and install Snow Leopard on the second partition. Then dual boot to Snow Leopard whenever you wish to run a game that contains PPC code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Seeing right now "GTA: San Andreas" (who's only compatible with Snow Leopard or less) next to the Lion-upgrade on the App Store just makes the whole thing laughable.

GTA: SA works on Lion. Any App Store app should work under Lion. Otherwise it would be pointless for them to be in the App Store since PPC computers can't even use the App Store.

C

chas_m

What Stretch said. Your info is very, very incorrect.

If you see an app in the Mac App Store, Apple *guarantees* it will run on Lion unless the program requires something else you don't have (like a beefier video card).

OP
MacLovin85
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM, 256MB nVidia Graphics, 250 HDD
GTA: SA works on Lion. Any App Store app should work under Lion. Otherwise it would be pointless for them to be in the App Store since PPC computers can't even use the App Store.

Double-checking the App Store, I realize what I said was incorrect. It's true, OSX 10.6 or later (I'm browsing on Spanish and I still have trouble making up some words).

My bad. :Oops:

I'll consider a separate partition. It's worth it.

My doubt is solved. Thanks so much! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.