My MacBook screen may be broken

Reaction score
My girlfriend was using the computer.. and this is what my screen looks like now.
Apparently it happened while using it (which isn't fully unbelievable because it has been getting worse while using it.) I'm wondering what is wrong without having to pay $69.00 to PeachMac for just looking at it since it seems simple.

If there are any experts, I'd like to know how much this would cost to get repaired, as well as any place that would be cheaper.

Thank you very much!

jwood

download.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can buy replacement screens on ebay - about £70 $100?

It takes about 3 hours to do it yourself (I Know I have done it)

iFixit does a complete step by step guide on how to do it

One tip, get some Florists foam (the funny textured green stuff). You can embed all the screws safely in lines and groups as you take the mac apart and then know which ones to start with when you go back and re-assemble

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
The foam is not that important, if you are good with organizing the screws, the worst ones would be the 6 that hold the hinges done, there are 5 different screw, if I remember correctly. The case screws are too hard, and inside the screen assembly, there are only 2 different screws, the 10 holding the screen to the frame, then all the rest.

But recommending something else, have some good thin double sided tape around incase the bezel does not stick anymore with the original tape. It really is not hard for a MacBook, but you want to take your time and not rush, or you could very easily damage something.

I would also recommend taking a picture around each hinge befor removing, those cables never have lined backup easily for me, this would help you see where they will fit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
I just realized yours is a unibody MacBook, what I was saying is for the older non-unibody MacBook. But still follow the advise, just ignore the screw numbers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.