Can't get to my old files...

Reaction score
I have a Mac Pro Dual Core Intel G5 with OS X 1.4.1. Recently my system failed and I had the blinking ? on my screen. After trying a plethera of different tactics to get my computer to boot, I finally borrowed a friend's OS X 1.5 and installed it onto one of my other drives which is a 512 Gig drive. The original OS is on one of my other drives apparently.

Long story short, the good news is my computer is up and running. The bad news... I can't see my other drive at all and can't get to any of my old files.

Can anyone help?

:-/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Will the drive spin up? If the drive wont spin up, you have very few options available, and none of them are cheap...

OP
T
Reaction score
Not sure...

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by spin up. I can't get the old drive to boot up at all and I can't see it in my newly formatted "section" of my computer.

I figured this would be the case - that I would have to take it in and have the pros retrieve my old files for a price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Be prepared for 4 or 5 figures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
The last drive we sent to get recovered cost $4000 for 100GB. Since this has to be done in a clean room and the drive taken apart and the platters mounted on special devices, yes, it is very expensive.

You can try Geek Squad, but I think they are $250 to look at the drive and determine if anything can be done, and if not, well, you are now out $250. If it can, that is applied to the final cost of what they may be able to get, which is still going to be up over $1000.

There are no cheap ways to recover a completely dead drive.

OP
T
Reaction score
Wow, I think I'm ready to just say goodbye to my old files.

Thanks again for your time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.