Installing Windows over OSx....How to carry-over emails???

Reaction score
OK, new member here. Before you guys give me grief for installing Win7, let me tell you that I have TRIED. I have tried to love OSx like I thought I would - I couldn't. I have tried to get used to OSx, I couldn't. I have even tried to tolerate OSx, I just couldn't... I really, really TRIED! I HATE it! (I never thought I could miss Windows this much...)

I had to order Windows 7 pro and I am planning to do a clean install. I know how to back up files etc before I format the SSD but my question is how do I 1.) export emails from Mac Mail and 2.) later import them into Windows Live Mail after the new OS is installed?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OK, new member here. Before you guys give me grief for installing Win7, let me tell you that I have TRIED. I have tried to love OSx like I thought I would - I couldn't. I have tried to get used to OSx, I couldn't. I have even tried to tolerate OSx, I just couldn't... I really, really TRIED! I HATE it! (I never thought I could miss Windows this much...)
There's nothing wrong with this. There's no point in forcing yourself to like something that just doesn't meet your needs.

I had to order Windows 7 pro and I am planning to do a clean install. I know how to back up files etc before I format the SSD but my question is how do I 1.) export emails from Mac Mail and 2.) later import them into Windows Live Mail after the new OS is installed?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me!
The answer to this really depends on how your email account is currently set up. Are you using IMAP or POP to get your email? If you don't know, go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts > select your account > Account Information > Account Type. If you're using IMAP, you don't have to do much. If you're using POP however, you might have a bit of work to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
One possible and simple solution without using any software would be to run them through a gmail account. The emails and contacts would still be accessible on your new system.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Not just GMail but any IMAP service. This is why more services offer IMAP now rather than POP.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks Van. It is iMap, but there is an old inbox folder that I imported from my old laptop (Win Vista) with the help of Apple Care (quite complicated proecedure...). But since I still have the old lappy I suppose I could just copy the old emails over one Win7 is installed on this machine. So then all the emails I have received and sent under iCloud transfer automatically (from the cloud) once I set-up the .me account in Windows live mail?

C

chas_m

Not just GMail but any IMAP service. This is why more services offer IMAP now rather than POP.

This is incorrect. Most every local/regional ISP at least in the countries I have any experience with (US, Canada, UK) offer POP. It is only a handful of international services (Apple, AOL, Yahoo, GMail, some others) that offer IMAP.

If you meant "more than used to," then I agree. If you meant "more IMAP providers than POP providers" I'm afraid you are very much mistaken.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know about foreign ISPs but the majors here in Canada offer it (Rogers, Telus). It's a bit of a "hit and miss" I suppose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.