Mac mini questions

Reaction score
I have finally given up on pc and I will be making the switch shortly. I know that pretty much all macs are due to either be updated or redesigned. I am not sure if it is of concern to me. My first switch is going to be to a desktop. My husband and daughter ( who is 11 ) use the desktop to surf, my daughter plays dress up, minecraft,and does every kind of art program made. I used to mess around with code until this current pc got eaten by a virus that took off all programs, and I just can't do the whole fix it from the ground up anymore. I got it limping but I can barely stand to look at it. I'll wipe it and make it into a Linux later.
Now I don't have much money, but I saw a new entry level Mac mini with an upgrade to 8 gbs loaded w mast suite cs5.5 for $750. This would suit me fine I think, it would be much faster than anything I've ever owned.
My question is , what cables star do I need? I have a screen for now, does it hook up just like that or do I need adapters? Do I need the External super drive? What adapters do I need? Thanks Jolie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
It depends on what Mac Mini you have and what Screen you have. The newer Mac Minis have HDMI and Thunderbolt displays. Thunderbolt can use Mini Displayport adapters as well. The older ones have straight up Mini Display Ports. The really old ones have DVI. All of them have USB - so all you really need is a USB keyboard and Mouse.

So once you figure out what Mac Mini it is - go to Monoprice for the adapter. ~$7USD instead of the $30USD that Apple charges. (Here are the mini displayport options.)
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
The mini comes with an HDMI -> DVI cable. I use it to connect my Mini to my 65" HDTV (which has the DVI input). Works great and looks great.

Would you get the same out of a mini as an iMac? For using CS5.5 I would recommend the more powerful mini, which puts you into the iMac range when it comes to price. Even with 8GB RAM, you would be falling way short on the video with the Mini for photo work. All opinion, but I will say I use my MBP (much faster and more powerful than my mini) for production work, though I end up viewing on my Mini with that nice big 65" screen.

Bottom line, if you can, get into an Apple store and see them first hand where you can ask specific questions to people who have been trained to answer them. Never hurts.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi again, thanks for your answers. I have an emachine with 80 gb, 1.6ghz, 4 gb ram . I can run photoshop on this and it works. I will probably get n external ssd if my daughter really starts doing nything serious. I like the idea of iMac, the issues is 2 things , to upgrade anything, I'd have to take it apart which is scary , suction cups and glass etc. second of all I do not like the idea of the screen being my computer. My kid and I are both horribly clumsy. ? I can't afford a Mac pro. Can I upgrade the video card? W/o voiding my warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Do I need the External super drive?
Only if you want to read/write CDs/DVDs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
You cannot upgrade the video card or CPU after purchase in the macmini because it is soldered to the board. I don't know on the iMac - that would be a question for someone who has one. You can, however, upgrade the RAM afterwards with no issues.

I got the external drive so I could pull my DVD collection into iTunes. If you want/need access to a DVD/CD/burner, you need some kind of drive. The Superdrive is nice and compact and runs off the USB power.

External SSD is an oxymoron. The speed gained by it being an SSD is lost by being External...

C

chas_m

Now I don't have much money, but I saw a new entry level Mac mini with an upgrade to 8 gbs loaded w mast suite cs5.5 for $750. This would suit me fine I think, it would be much faster than anything I've ever owned.

If the CS 5.5 doesn't come with its original disks, walk away from that "deal." Not only do we not support pirated software, but you won't be able to upgrade and receive no support. At that price, let's just say I'm suspicious of that copy of CS 5.5, which sells for almost double that much all by itself.

I do, however, think you should look into either a refurbished Mac mini or an iMac from Apple's refurb section. They are as-new, with full warranty.

My question is , what cables star do I need?

This question can be answered by looking at a picture of the back of the model you're considering. A google image search should turn that up no problem. The back connectors change over the years so I can't say with certainty.

The most recent Mac Mini and iMac use MiniDisplayPort or Thunderbolt (from a video cord perspective, same thing). Depending on your monitor, you may need a mDp to DVI or VGA adapter.

I will say that at some point you really should treat yourself to a recent, IPS-quality, LED-backlit monitor. They make the other kinds of monitors look like washed out barely-colour tube TV sets by comparison. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Food for thought

Sodered graphics, I suspected that it was a no go, but that really hinders any tinkering.
I really didn't know that ssd lost it's speed when external, that's too bad.
The guy on eBay said he owns a volume license for the software, I'll querry about updates, but I don't think I mind about not updating too much, kind of playing around.
I've been looking at the refurburbs. There will probably a whole lot more on apple once everything gets updated. I don't know if I can make it that long, my computer is eating itself. I simply don't have the will to spend hours tracking down what's wrong with it. I suspect just about everything . The windows updates alone mess more things up than they solve. Can't redownload anything because it won't go through. Emachines do not come with a copy of windows 7 , so I'd have to buy it because my back up is corrupted. I bought cheap, I deserve this. But even when I had abetted rig it was nothing but Abigail hassle.i am going to dig deeper , see if I can't find a better solution. Thank you all for your help.

C

chas_m

I really didn't know that ssd lost it's speed when external, that's too bad.

Don't know where you got that, that's not necessarily true. If you put an SSD in a USB 2 case, then yes you lose a LOT of speed. In a Thunderbolt or adapted eSATA case, not so much.

The guy on eBay said he owns a volume license for the software

Well he's not going to come out say "this is pirated" is he? Of course he says that. He's lying. If not, he's so rich he doesn't need your money, or he's selling his own personally-stolen-from-work copy that he thinks is his. My bet would be the latter.

But don't take my word for it: get the license number, call up Adobe, ask them yourself. I'm sure they'll appreciate the good laugh.

I bought cheap, I deserve this.

Refreshing bit of candor there.

I should note that if you own your OWN legal copy of Adobe CS, you should call Adobe and enquire about a side-grade. Just at the moment they are probably in the mood to make you an offer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know where you got that, that's not necessarily true. If you put an SSD in a USB 2 case, then yes you lose a LOT of speed. In a Thunderbolt or adapted eSATA case, not so much.

This, however, will be a very expensive option per GB. Cheaper per GB to get a regular HDD in a Thunderbolt case than going with an SSD...

A MacMini is not meant for "tinkering." It is designed for a specific purpose, and while it can be used for photo/video, I personally would not recommend it over an iMac or MacBook Pro. It just isn't meant for that kind of use.

And I have one, the top of the line one, and I still would not use it for photo/video processing outside of just simple edits or very short, non-HD videos. The hold back is the video card.

Get the iMac, pump the money into the larger Video card and faster CPU. Upgrade the RAM and HDD after the fact. Put the SSD inside, but dont waste the money on an external SSD.

Again, all my own opinion, though I have been doing this for almost 17 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As to the software, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

If you have kids in school, get the academic version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.