Unique Situation Installing Windows on already Partitioned Mac HD

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been having a slight problem installing Windows 7 onto my Macbook Pro.

I'm running a 2009 macbook pro with OSX Snow Leopard 10.6

About a month or two ago i had a 320GB HD. I had that HD partitioned with both OSX and Windows XP that I had installed with bootcamp. I ended up frying that HD and I replaced it with a 1TB harddrive.

With this TB harddrive I first installed Ubuntu before anything because I had to wait for a friend to get home from vacation so I could borrow his OSX install cd. And I needed a functioning laptop, so I took the free Ubuntu install route.

So I immediately partitioned the 1TB HD, 100GB to keep Ubuntu, and I later installed OSX on the other.

Now I want to also install Windows 7 but obviously cannot use bootcamp because it's already a partitioned harddrive.

Here's the problem: I tried using rEFIt's boot menu. When I installed that and restarted, I was stuck at the apple's loading screen where the screen has a white background with the apple logo, and the spinning loading animation.

At that point I hard restarted, and it got stuck again. I was then thinking that it was because it's already partitioned, so I then again for the third time hard restarted, and when I powered back on I held down the 'alt' button to see if i could get to the bootcamp menu.

I was surprised to see that the two drives that showed up were Macintosh OS and Windows XP and maybe that was the reason rEFIt wasn't operating correctly.

So I'm scared to proceed with anything else without bricking my computer.

I'm thinking i'm going to have to just reformat but I was wondering if there was another solution.

So if anyone has anything to help me, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Can you successfully boot using CMD+S?
If you boot holding down CMD+V what is the last line processed?

Personally I'd reformat anyway just to simplify. I'm in favor of reliability over capability.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.