Can't Sync Contacts Anymore

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Ok, I've been fighting this for a while and thought I could fix it on my own but I don't know what else to do.

The problem is that whenever I sync my iPhone 4 or iPad (1st Gen) in iTunes (wireless or plugged in) I get as far as step 3 "Syncing Contacts" and it just hangs. I mean it goes forever! Nothing ever happens. This started sometime around January or February of this year. I don't know what changed. I've had my MBP since 2008 and my iPhone 4 since Nov, 2010. They have always worked fine together. Recently it became a big pain when I added a group in Address Book on my Mac that I wanted to sync with my phone because it's so much easier (for me) to type a bunch of #'s and addresses (copy/paste) with the Mac than with the iPhone. Anyways, when I open iTunes and it sees my iPhone, I click on the Info tab to see my contact groups. Well, the new one I created isn't there. It doesn't show up. I made sure to close Address Book after working in it. I tried closing iTunes and re-opening it. I restarted my phone and restarted my MBP.

I don't know if this is an Apple ID problem somehow, but I'm throwing this out there...
My Apple ID is older and is not an email address. When I set up Find My Phone back whenever that was a new feature, it required an Apple ID that is an email address. So I used my gmail email as an Apple ID. Well, technically that isn't the same Apple ID as what I use for iTunes, and my iOS devices. Could that make any difference? Did I somehow confuse the crap out of iTunes? I don't know. I'm just wondering why I'm having so much trouble. It also won't backup my iPhone or iPad anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.