iMac 2011 Temperature

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2011 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 16GB RAM DDR3 1333MHz
My iMac is 137ºF or 58ºC as of right now. What are normal temperatures? Is this too hot? I usually only use Skype, Safari and iTunes. Would it help if I kept my room temperature down? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which temperature is reading 58 degrees C?

Your iMac has three fans and three main temperature readouts:

1. CPU

2. Hard Drive

3. Optical Drive

For example: Right now my CPU is reading 37 degrees C with a fan speed of 1200 RPM. I have the same iMac as you do.

OP
LoganTyler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The CPU diode was 58 C. I have iStat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Nope. Not too hot. There is far more focus on temperature than is really needed. The circuits are designed to throttle back, then shutdown when operating ranges are exceeded. Ya got another 42 degrees before you'd start to hit any thresholds.

C

chas_m

Perfectly normal.

You are on a Mac now. You do not have to "manage thermal anomolies" anymore.

OP
LoganTyler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
I am a new iMac user, and I was worried about temps. I have managed mine via smcFanControl which sets minimum fan speeds only and cannot go below Apples default settings. This is my current reading from Tunabelly Temperature Gauge.

Optical Drive Fan 2300RPM
Hard Drive Fan 2300RPM
CPU Fan 1800RPM 33 degrees C
GPU 48 degrees C

This is with two monitors running, web browser, youtube playing and using the Trillian IM client.

Reaction score
my cpu runs at around 46 degrees on average but it has gone up past 50. but my last logic board stopped sending the temperature signal from the cpu and kept the fans on full all the time before it died

Reaction score
Why? Yes, I'm absolutely serious. Why?

Because I was used to PC's that have a lot more customisation control... and then moving to Mac where at one point it was very warm to touch just alerted me. I then heard reports that Apple set fan speeds to low by default for marketing purposes: quiet hardware. Whether this is true or not, it still alerts a new user.

The heat concerns mainly occur in Boot Camp situations though. I don't think Boot Camp has been developed very well - it needs a fan utility as part of the support software.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The heat concerns mainly occur in Boot Camp situations though. I don't think Boot Camp has been developed very well - it needs a fan utility as part of the support software.

Apple engineers are very capable and their machines have been designed to operate at those temperatures. What you heard is nonsense.

Besides, if you want a fan utility that works in a dual boot Windows environment you can download and install the free SMCFanControl for Windows from here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.