iMac 2133 - How to open DVD drive at BOOT?

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a iMAC emc- 2133 model and have the simplest of dumb questions: I have no OS x yet - just put in a blank hdd - at boot, is there a key I'm supposed to hold down on the KBD to get the optical drive to open so I can put the disc in?? how to do this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm rebuilding a iMAC emc- 2133 model and have the simplest of dumb questions: I have no OS x yet - just put in a blank hdd - at boot, is there a key I'm supposed to hold down on the KBD to get the optical drive to open so I can put the disc in?? how to do this?

Hold down the mouse button...or press the key in the upper right area of the keyboard with a triangle symbol with a line under it (usually just above the backspace/delete key).

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
got it... I actually held the Option key, then when I got a response, SURPRISE... it had a Snow Leopard install DVD in the optical.
found the eject button etc on the kbd so now fooling with the dvd options.

the real aim is to put Lion on here.

if you happen to know this: I don't have a "mac" mouse here, but I do have a combo kbd that has the touchpad built in - will the system rom respond to and utilize that kdb correctly?

thanx for your help

OP
C
Reaction score
one more question if you don't mind: if I fire up the snow leopard dvd - BEFORE it starts carving up the fresh hard drive I would like to run some basic tests on the HDD to make sure its healthy. will I be able to get into the Disk Management tools and run tests?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
if you happen to know this: I don't have a "mac" mouse here, but I do have a combo kbd that has the touchpad built in - will the system rom respond to and utilize that kdb correctly?

Almost any USB keyboard will work with your iMac (all the "normal" keys). If it's not a keyboard designed for a "Macintosh" (Macintosh capability)...then it won't have the special software drivers needed for the special functions of the keyboard to work (namely this keyboards integrated trackpad you mentioned)...so I'm thinking that the trackpad won't work.

But the easiest thing to do is get an OS installed on that new HD...plug in the keyboard, and see if it works...maybe we'll all be surprised!:)

If it is a Macintosh compatible keyboard...and you don't have the drivers. Go to the manufacturers website...and download & install the drivers.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.