Do I need a better OS?

Reaction score
Just purchased a used Macbook mine says "Early 2008". My specs are 2.1 ghz 120gb 1gb ram, is the existing OS "Mac OS X version 10.5.8" the best OS for this unit or is there another OS which may work better or should I leave as is please?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Just purchased a used Macbook mine says "Early 2008". My specs are 2.1 ghz 120gb 1gb ram, is the existing OS "Mac OS X version 10.5.8" the best OS for this unit or is there another OS which may work better or should I leave as is please?

Snow Leopard is a good and inexpensive update ($29 thru Apple Online Store) but I would suggest you bump up your RAM. OWC is a good source.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You didn't mention why you would need a "better" OS for your MacBook. Generally there are at least 4 reasons why folks need to upgrade their OS:

- features they need/want which are available in a newer OS version
- compatibility problems with apps. (need a newer OS version)
- compatibility issues with peripherals (need a newer OS)
- compatibility with newer hardware devices like iPhones & iPads

You mentioned none of these...so it's hard to say if you need a "better" OS.

Your MacBook is currently running OS 10.5.8. It can also run 10.6 or 10.7. It probably won't be able to run OS 10.8 when it is released this Summer (probably doesn't meet the min. hardware requirements).

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
oh, sorry, I am simply seeking to optimize the laptop, not for any specific reason or application.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh, sorry, I am simply seeking to optimize the laptop, not for any specific reason or application.

Can we assume that by upgrading the MacBook's OS...that you won't be losing any compatibility with any current apps. or peripherals that REQUIRE OS 10.5.8?

If not...you could upgrade to either 10.6 or 10.7. To do 10.6...it will cost you $29. To do 10.7 (two ways):

- less expensive but more complex way (about $58)
- more expensive but much less complex way ($69)

10.7.3 is the latest OS version...so if you did this, you would be as up to date as possible.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
ok, thanks for the issue all, next issues please:

1] How can I get replace the previous owner's name with my own? Do I have to reinstall the OS like in a pc or is there another way?

2] Why doesn't the touchpad work like a pc where you can use it to single or double click? I can only scroll with the touchpad but have to use the left and right click button to do this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2] Why doesn't the touchpad work like a pc where you can use it to single or double click? I can only scroll with the touchpad but have to use the left and right click button to do this?

Actually it is a "PC". PC stands for "Personal Computer"...but I know what you mean...just giving you hard time!;) For clarity...I usually call them "Windows Computers".:)

But more seriously...the MacBook's trackpad will do that. You probably have to open "System Preferences", then "Trackpad"...and adjust the settings.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Apple specs say you can increaser memory to 4GB, and OWC states 6GB will work. Whatever either will be a huge improvement on your current 1GB. Bet the poor thing struggles and you see a lot of the spinning beach ball. Best way to improve the OS is to go to the Apple Store and purchaseLion OS X.7 on the USB thumb drive for $69.00, back up all files or clone your current HDD to an external hard drive and do a clean install of Lion. Migration Assistant will transfer everything over from the external.

To download Lion from the App Store you need to purchase Snow Leopard for $29 and when updated to OS X.6.8 download Lion, another $29, so you can see the thumb drive has the advantage of having a bootable version.

C

chas_m

If I were you I would back up my files immediately and ERASE that hard drive (1-pass with zeros, even!).

Then I would install a fresh copy of Lion, put back your files and buy any of the iLife apps you need from the Mac App Store ($15 each).

Until then, that Mac isn't really yours, and you have no idea what the previous owner may have installed in terms of keyloggers or other malicious software. Maybe nothing, but why even take the chance when its so cheap to properly set up YOUR computer?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am attempting to load Lion on this unit, reading the Read Me, it suggests 'updating the firmware" by going to Apple - Support - Downloads but when I go there I don't understand what I have to do to see if my unit's firmware is up to date?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
do not worry about the minor detail just download the lion osx, let us go from there, apple product is supposedly just works, no ifs and buts.

OP
M
Reaction score
The guy gave me a disk with the title "lion" on it, I tried installing it but I am getting an error message stating "Mac OS X 10.4 cannot be installed on this machine" so if version 10.4 cannot be installed then would it be safe to say that I will need a version "newer" than 10.5 [the existing version]? Could that be the reason why the older 10.4 version won't install?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
10.4 is Tiger and VERY OLD. That is why it will not install. You have to purchase Lion and download it or go to apple and purchase it on a Memory Stick, There are no DVD's of Lion.

Who was this Guy who gave you the DVD?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
A lot of things going on here
1) You need to buy a copy of the OS
2) You can't install an older OS than the machine first came with
3) Buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard or the Lion USB

OP
M
Reaction score
The person I bought the unit from gave me a DVD with the OS, tell me this please, does this unit have a recovery option anywhere like in a windows laptop where I can reinstall the existing OS from a backup or would I absolutely have to purchase directly from Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Ok, that's a very nice explanation of this issue, thanks.
did your macbook comes with osx install disk and application disk? Usually these 2 disks come with mbp, see what the disk says the version number is.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The guy gave me a disk with the title "lion" on it, I tried installing it but I am getting an error message stating "Mac OS X 10.4 cannot be installed on this machine" so if version 10.4 cannot be installed then would it be safe to say that I will need a version "newer" than 10.5 [the existing version]? Could that be the reason why the older 10.4 version won't install?

Remember what I posted earlier in this thread:

You didn't mention why you would need a "better" OS for your MacBook. Generally there are at least 4 reasons why folks need to upgrade their OS:

- features they need/want which are available in a newer OS version
- compatibility problems with apps. (need a newer OS version)
- compatibility issues with peripherals (need a newer OS)
- compatibility with newer hardware devices like iPhones & iPads

You mentioned none of these...so it's hard to say if you need a "better" OS.

Your MacBook is currently running OS 10.5.8. It can also run 10.6 or 10.7. It probably won't be able to run OS 10.8 when it is released this Summer (probably doesn't meet the min. hardware requirements).

- Nick
...and your response was:

If that was your reason...why in the world are you trying to install an older OS version (10.4)??? You have no specific reasons for doing it...you don't even have any true reasons to deviate from the OS that's currently installed (10.5.8).

Also...if you're asking us for advice...why would you even insert an OS 10.4 disk into the drive...and attempt to install OS 10.4 (even if it would let you install it). Why not post a question first...what for some responses...BEFORE doing an install??? What would you be achieving by doing this (installing OS 10.4)...what benefits do you think that you will gain??

The only thing you will achieve is headaches!:( My advice is (as I mentioned earlier)...stick with OS 10.5.8, install OS 10.6, or install OS 10.7.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.