Do I need a better OS?

OP
M
Reaction score
To clarify, I had thought that the disk which came with the unit had the same existing OS and that is why I attempted to reload the OS to clear out whatever was on the unit from the previous owner, it was only after trying to reload the OS on the disk that I saw the disk contained the older version. That is why I asked earlier if there's a back up of the existing OS anywhere on this unit so I could reformat and use the existing unit but if not and I will have to purchase a new OS then why not purchase the most most up to date OS which can work with this unit? Hope this clears up everything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Who knows as it is an illegal copy of Lion. To download Lion as said earlier you do need OS X.6.6 or OS X..6.8. That costs 2 x $29 so why not buy the thumb drive at $69 and save a lot of hassle.

Gotta tell you staff here do not like pirated software, which is what your Lion DVD is!

OP
M
Reaction score
Before I purchase the new OS I want to upgrade the RAM, think I'll add one more GB since my usage will be only for music playback

OP
M
Reaction score
I ordered the RAM and will be getting the OS, next I think is Antivitus software, which are the best ones you guys can recommend for Mac please?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I ordered the RAM and will be getting the OS, next I think is Antivitus software, which are the best ones you guys can recommend for Mac please?

None.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Mind telling me why please? I have one Tech telling me that Mac viruses are not as easy to clean as windows pc's?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mind telling me why please? I have one Tech telling me that Mac viruses are not as easy to clean as windows pc's?

This is a pretty common topic here on Mac-Forums (been answered MANY times). Please do a search...and you will find plenty of info.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
oh, found a sticky which explains why no need to purchase virus software.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Good deal! I was just going to send you that sticky link.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
It is the beauty of apple products, you never have to worry about running anit virus, take it easy and relax.
Why pay for anti virus ?
I understand coming from window has that bad taste in the mouth, not knowing when virus might attack your system. As long as your run software update on your macbook, should be good.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Here are two free programs if you wanted to give them a try:

Mac Antivirus Software Reviews: ClamXav -- Free Mac Antivirus Software
Mac Antivirus Review: Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition

Just for the heck of it I ran "Sophos" yesterday. It found three things...all of them were in my e-mail...all of them were related to attachments (spam/phishing type e-mails)...and all of them were Windows only issues (and that's if the attachments were actually opened)...which I never do when I don't know the source of the e-mail. And even if I did open them...these were Windows issues only.

This is on a computer that I use probably 10-12 hours/day...for the past 3+ years. Yesterday was the first time I scanned my HD with this free program...and all it found was 3 things...all Windows issues. Not bad!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Most of us here do not run any antivirus software as there are no Mac OS X viruses despite what you 'techie' told you. Remember one thing ~ he makes a buck out of what he sells you.

If you feel you must run AV, do as Nick suggests and download ClamXAV which is freeware. If you set up Windows on your Mac, use Microsoft Security Essentials which is also free. Bet your 'techie' never mentioned either!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.