Keychain

B

Bridge

Keychain.. what is this?

Forigve the ignorance I'm a new MAC user and this "keychain" is asked for when using Safari each time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
It's a program that keeps all of your passwords that you enter in Safari or other programs. You can open Keychain, type your Admin's password and see every password ever entered on your computer. It's kind of like Windows saying "would you like Windows to store this password?".

As for Safari asking for Keychain, you'll have to go into more detail, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

OP
B

Bridge

surfwax95 said:
It's a program that keeps all of your passwords that you enter in Safari or other programs. You can open Keychain, type your Admin's password and see every password ever entered on your computer. It's kind of like Windows saying "would you like Windows to store this password?".

As for Safari asking for Keychain, you'll have to go into more detail, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Thanks.

OK where can this keychain be found?

When browsing pages in Safari, a pop-up box is displayed asking for a password.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
The keychains app is located in the Finder: Applications Folder -> Utilities Folder -> Keychain Access

It's a very useful app. I always forget username and passwords for things.

OP
B

Bridge

Disabled

iWhat said:
The keychains app is located in the Finder: Applications Folder -> Utilities Folder -> Keychain Access

It's a very useful app. I always forget username and passwords for things.

Can it be disabled?

I don't like my username and passwords saved.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't really need to disable it. But I'm not seeing a way to disable it. It always prompts for your computer's password to get to any password. You might wanna also check out some of the options in the prefrences, which makes the app more secure, if that's the case.

OP
B

Bridge

Well, I do need to disable it because it is irriating and breaks my work flow.

I'll check into preferences, thanks anyway.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are talking mainly about in Safari that it's irriating, you could go to the prefs. in there, under AutoFill and disable "User names and passwords", if that's what is troubling you.

OP
B

Bridge

If you read my first post it is clear this is a SAFARI issue, that is all I have mentioned, so thanks I'll check that out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.