Newbie questions regarding Macbook please?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a used laptop auction lot and got a macbook and have some beginner questions please? I searched the net for some of these questions but could not find the answer:

1] How can I tell which model laptop I have? I tried entering the serial number here but I am guessing it did not work becuase this unit is no longer under warranty?

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

help please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Look top left

See the "apple?" Touch that and then touch "About this Mac." You may get further info by touching "more info."

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, i did that initially which brings up a small window which shows the OS "Mac OS X version 10.5.8" then there's a "more info" tab below which brings up another window with "Hardware overview" which shows the Serial number and other stuff but doesn't show the laptop model number?

Reaction score
Hi Mike, Apple does not list models as most PC vendors do. Apple models often correspond with the time they were produced. "Macbook Pro, Early 2011" is a valid model number for a Macbook Pro. Look at some Apple products on eBay, you will see a million examples. It's not like HP listing a 6710b.

I've attached a screenshot from my Mac, hope it helps.

about.png

OP
M
Reaction score
Oh I see, thanks, mine says "Early 2008". My specs are 2.1 ghz 120gb 1gb ram, is the existing OS "Mac OS X version 10.5.8" the best OS for this unit or is there another OS which may work better or should I leave as is please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
With that computer, you can go to the latest OS, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. Also as of right now, you can go to Mac OS X Mountain Lion, as long as Apple does not change the requirements.

I recommend using the latest OS for support and compatibility on software. But really it is what you decide, 10.5 works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Oh I see, thanks, mine says "Early 2008". My specs are 2.1 ghz 120gb 1gb ram, is the existing OS "Mac OS X version 10.5.8" the best OS for this unit or is there another OS which may work better or should I leave as is please?

if you go with lion your ram is not sufficient, should be 4gb,

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok thnaks for the info guys and very sorry for having posted the same question in BOTH Hardware and Software forums, only reason I did this was becuase after posting in the Hardware forum initially for my first question which was Hardware related, I saw a sticky which said software questions have to be posted in the Software forum so please excuse this, thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.