Airport/Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 667 10.6.8 & MBk Pro 2.8 GHzIntel Core i7 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 10.6
Hi folks. Its me again. Many thanks for the past advice. All was spot on.

Now for some new questions.

Since I now have two Macs; iMac and MacBookPro I think I need a wireless setup. Should I go with Airport Extreme or Apple Air Port Express? As I understand it I just plug in my SURFboard cable modem to one of the boxes. What else do I need to buy? Can my windows based son get into my wifi when he visits? Etc, etc, etc.

Next I am on 10.4 with my iMac. Have backed up to my hard drive all the stuff I want to save. Have purchased Snow Leopard in disk form and I am ready to load. Do I do a clean install (what ever that is) or something else?

The only iLife stuff I use is iPhoto and iTunes. Will my 10.4 version work or do I need to get new apps from Apple?

BTW have installed 2 each 2 gig sticks of RAM n my iMac (I know only 3 will be used but someone advised me to install matched pairs--got the 2 sticks from OWC since Apple no longer sell this item).

What is the best software for copying movie DVDs.

All help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Chase

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Any good quality wireless router will do the trick. The Airport Extreme is a well built piece of kit though it it fairly pricy. Any wifi certified device will be able to connect but don't feel like you have to be limited to Apple routers. There are many good routers around.

Once you have a solid backup (i'd suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine just in case) but at least do a time machine backup (simply for the ease of using it to reinstall you files and applications.
You can then boot from the Snow Leopard DVD and do a clean install.

Not sure which version of iPhoto you have there but it should be OK. I'd suggest downloading the latest iTunes either way.

Forum rules prohibit information regarding DVD ripping I'm afraid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.