• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Why???

Reaction score
I just got an iMac recently and one of the reasons I got it was for editing my gopro footage of me mountain biking. Since I've gotten it I've made one video and basically fumbled my way through it w/ not really knowing what I was doing. So I decided to actually read the manual and figure out how to use. But after looking around I find that Apple doesn't really have a current one. Thats leads me to the name of the thread....Why?????????? I've also noticed that when I 1st got my iMac, that there isn't a lot of literature that Apple provides, just independent authors selling their stuff to teach you how to use prod/prog's. I spent, what I consider a lot of money, on this computer and I'm kinda dissappointed at the lack of material that Apple provides for new users.

After that said, I still love the product, just dissappointed that I either have to spend more money on books or watch utube tutorials every time I run into an obstacle.

Does anyone know of anything available for iMovie that would be useful for a beginner?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I decided to actually read the manual and figure out how to use. But after looking around I find that Apple doesn't really have a current one.Thats leads me to the name of the thread....Why??????????

Does anyone know of anything available for iMovie that would be useful for a beginner?

Have you tried doing something VERY simple...such as an internet search? If you would have used Google, and performed a search using the term "iMovie Help"...you would of gotten this:

Apple - Support - iMovie
Mac 101: iMovie

...Gee Wiz...it's even something that Apple provides!;)

- Nick

p.s. If you need additional help...that Google search will have plenty more sources of help for iMovie!:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
And the first time you go into any of the iApps you get a page appear with links to help material (videos, docs etc) this appears every time you run the app until you check the box 'don't show me again' and close it.

You can manually invoke these screens by going to the applications Help menu and selecting "Welcome to iMovie" etc

OP
U
Reaction score
Yes I've done that and I've watched the tutorials, how do you think I found other author books on the matter. I guess I should have done a better job explaining. I'm looking for more detailed info then what Apple provides in their tutorials. I found a pdf from them on an older version, but it looks like they stopped do this. Does anyone except Nick have anymore info on maybe a newer pdf for iMovie 11. I found this but its for 08. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iMovie_08_Getting_Started.pdf
Nick - No disrespect, but next time try using a different approach when helping, gee wiz:Smirk:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Everything you could possibly need to know for iMovie 11 right here.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everything you could possibly need to know for iMovie 11 right here.

I thought that was a pretty good link as well (I included it in my post above).:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I should have done a better job explaining. I'm looking for more detailed info then what Apple provides in their tutorials.

Exactly! This is the sort of info that should be included in a post...so folks answering & trying to help have a better idea of what you are thinking, your current knowledge level, and what info you need.

When statements like these are made:

I spent, what I consider a lot of money, on this computer and I'm kinda dissappointed at the lack of material that Apple provides for new users.

...we can only assume (as a "beginner") you know almost nothing about iMovie (and you said you found nothing from Apple). Thus the links provided above should have been ideal & very helpful...for a "beginner"!:)

Clarity & detail are very important in posts. It's all we have to go on!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Here's a decent one stop Tutorial page for iMovie ( 09 ). It covers 90-95% of what you'll find in iMovie 11. FWIW....

iMovie 09

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I thought that was a pretty good link as well (I included it in my post above).:)

- Nick
Yes, it would seem you did. Haha.

OP
U
Reaction score
Exactly! This is the sort of info that should be included in a post...so folks answering & trying to help have a better idea of what you are thinking, your current knowledge level, and what info you need.

When statements like these are made:

...we can only assume (as a "beginner") you know almost nothing about iMovie (and you said you found nothing from Apple). Thus the links provided above should have been ideal & very helpful...for a "beginner"!:)

Clarity & detail are very important in posts. It's all we have to go on!:)

I'm thankful you were trying to help, but the way you came across rubbed me the wrong way. How about just suggesting what to do and not adding a smart comment (at least thats the way I took it). No problem though, I got lots of useful info. Thanks Nick and all the nice people;D

C

chas_m

Maybe it would help if you told us EXACTLY what it is you think you are missing that these links haven't covered.

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks chas_m for your input, but I've already been told that, codda's link helped me out, so condsider this issue closed. Next time I will be EXACT! I wasn't looking for tutorials, I was looking for a manual.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what the original post asked:

"Anything" is a pretty broad category!;)

...I wasn't looking for tutorials, I was looking for a manual.

If a manual is what was needed...well...I think that you know where I'm going!;)

The most important thing is you found something that will help!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Hi there

Whilst the info details already provided are great, just sometimes, (quite often, actually) a book helps. In situations like these, I heartily recommend David Pogue's Missing Manual for iMovie & iDVD. A mine of info.

And you can read it in bed, or anywhere that you don't have access to the web or have got fed up looking at a screen......

Cheers Mitcherooney

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.