WiFi issue - purchased USB WiFi Adapter but not connecting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late-2012MBP, Early-2009MBP 15"(new to me)iPad Air 64GB iPad Air 2 6
I have a Mac Mini which had a working Airport WiFi internal adapter. A couple weeks ago it decided to work intermittently, Took it to the Genius Bar at the closest Apple Store and they recommended replacing the Airport. My Mini's not new but I really wanted to find a simpler, more cost effective route.
My system specs are:
Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MM21.009A.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.19f2
Snow Leopard v 10.68

I purchased an AddLogix 802.11bgn Wireless Adapter N150 via Amazon and went through video supplied here: 802.11bgn Wireless Adapter N150
didn't appear to be too difficult to install

I was incorrect. Here's how I'm connected to the Net:
Cox.net Motorola SB5101 cable modem
Apple Air Port Extreme A1034
trying to wirelessly connect back to Airport Extreme is fine but unable to go to the Net.
I realize the IP address of the Airport is 10.0.1.1 which should be entered in the DNS Server section however, I'm not sure what IP address address I should use to connect to the Internet.
But I don't know what I'm doing wrong as I can connect to the Airport Extreme but not to the Internet. Something tells me I need a IP address that's provided by Cox which from what I can tell is a 68.x.x.x but not sure exactly what I need to enter.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should be using DHCP. Open System Preferences, Network. Click on WiFi and then click on the "Advanced" box. Click on the TCP/IP tab. In the Configure IP4 box, you should have "Using DHCP". If not, click on the down arrow and select it. That will auto assign an IP address.

Now click on the DNS tab. You should be showing a grayed out IP address which will be your router and its assigned IP address. You can also assign other DNS servers here - such as Open DNS or Google Public DNS.

You may have to enter your router's internal menu and likewise go through setup to assign DHCP and other settings. You may have to check with Cox to find out what those settings are.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late-2012MBP, Early-2009MBP 15"(new to me)iPad Air 64GB iPad Air 2 6
You should be using DHCP. Open System Preferences, Network. Click on WiFi and then click on the "Advanced" box. Click on the TCP/IP tab. In the Configure IP4 box, you should have "Using DHCP". If not, click on the down arrow and select it. That will auto assign an IP address.

Now click on the DNS tab. You should be showing a grayed out IP address which will be your router and its assigned IP address. You can also assign other DNS servers here - such as Open DNS or Google Public DNS.

You may have to enter your router's internal menu and likewise go through setup to assign DHCP and other settings. You may have to check with Cox to find out what those settings are.

Chscag, thanks for your suggestion above. Tried it to no avail. Hopefully, someone has some ideas!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.