How long is cord on USB keyboard?

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how long the usb cord is on the iMac usb keyboard? I'm trying to decided between the wired and wireless, and the cord length might make a difference, as it would have to run under my desk, then up and back to the iMac.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Basically any USB keyboard will work and they are handy to have for troubleshooting. But, if you already have one go wireless. The Mac wireless keyboard is great.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can anyone tell me how long the usb cord is on the iMac usb keyboard? I'm trying to decided between the wired and wireless, and the cord length might make a difference, as it would have to run under my desk, then up and back to the iMac.

The newest Apple USB keyboards have a cable that I think is only around 3 feet long (I'm actually using one right now). If you needed something longer...I believe is/was a 3 foot extension cable. In the older days...the cable on Apple USB keyboards was longer.

- Nick

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
Basically any USB keyboard will work and they are handy to have for troubleshooting. But, if you already have one go wireless. The Mac wireless keyboard is great.

I already have a wireless Apple keyboard that I use with my iPad (when I need it). So, I was thinking maybe I should get the wired one with the iMac. I have the lowered shelf on my desk for my keyboard, which would make it really awkward to run the USB cable to the iMac, unless it was long enough to go underneath to the back, then back to the iMac on top (and it sounds like it's not long enough for that). However, as you point out, the wireless one is pretty cool, and it might make sense to be using the same keyboards everywhere (since I believe the layout on the MacBooks is the same, and I might end up getting one of those, too). I haven't decided whether I'll miss the keypad and whether the arrow keys on the wireless one would drive me nuts. I imagine I can probably adapt. I'm really tempted to go wireless and then physically attach a touchpad to it. From the little bit of time I've spent using a touchpad, it seems like the way to go (for me). Drag-and-drop might take some practice, but it sure seems nice for navigating around.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.