Erase iMac G5

Reaction score
I'm getting my old iMac G5 ready to give to grandchild so I erased all the data. When it restarted from the original disks, it recognized my wireless mouse by the name I used when I set it up, "joe blow's mouse" Not a big deal, I hope, but why didn't that info disappear when I erased the drive? I used the one time pass method, all zeros. (actually, I did the one time pass twice.)

Thanks for any assistance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Assuming that the erasure of the HD went fine...I think that the wireless mouse retains the information.

When you turned the computer on (after doing the HD erase & I'm assuming a fresh OS install)...the computers bluetooth was probably already turned on...and it was searching for bluetooth devices. The bluetooth mouse was probably turned on & broadcasting it's info (Joe Blow's mouse)...thus the computer picked up the items signal.

If you turn off the bluetooth device, remove it's battery. or place it more than 30 feet from the computer...then the freshly setup computer shouldn't "see" it. If your iMac G5 has already been setup with this bluetooth mouse (by accident after the HD erase)...then you may need to delete that info from the computer.

Some bluetooth device info:

Bluetooth Quick Assist

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.